Rythmbox erasing media library (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Rythmbox erasing media library (SOLVED)

Postby madmanmick on Tue May 27, 2008 9:06 am

Hi guys,
I am new to the world of linux, so bear with me. It has come to my frustration, that every time i restart my PC into Mint 5, Rythmbox goes through my library and slowly but surely erases it. Everytime i restart i have to wait for Rythmbox to erase my library, and then I have to re-import the folder into Rythmbox, which takes 5-10 minutes. I think this is due to the fact my music is located on an NTFS drive which is shared by an XP dual boot. It looks to me like Mint is auto-mounting the drives, but i can't be sure - why else would rythmbox keep erasing my library! I tried to download the old mintdisk utility, but it won't run on my machine, it just pops up in the task bar a "starting administrati..." program, which i can't maximise or check options for, and then that disappears and nothing ends up happening, sometimes this happens when I try to run Synaptic too. Any ideas? This is really freaking annoying.
Thanks.

EDIT: Turns out the only way I can open synaptic (even right now, after a restart) is to use 'sudo synaptic' from Terminal. It won't boot from the main menu. I would do the same thing with mintDisk, but i don't know what the executable is called. Why would it not be booting into applications like synaptic without having to use sudo in terminal?
Last edited by madmanmick on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
madmanmick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Rythmbox erasing media library

Postby madmanmick on Tue May 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Does anyone have any ideas?
madmanmick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 pm

Have you tried putting a few of your audio files into your /home Music folder to see if Rhythmbox deletes them? That would be an interesting test. It would confirm your original theory.

I use Rhythmbox and have my audio collection in my Music folder. No issues. Though, I have not used Windows since 1999. I am 100% Linux, so I am not going to be a whole lot of help except for tossing out testing ideas.

I can understand your frustration. Please do not think the lack of responses to this thread thus far is because no one cares. You might have an unusual circumstance that others in here may not have experienced. Someone may have had this exact issue and can share some insight soon enough. I do wish you good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby madmanmick on Wed May 28, 2008 3:19 am

No worries. I worked it out, there is a setting in Rythmbox that automatically checks the default music folder for changes in song files, and it had been automatically set to /home/music. I changed it to my NTFS drive and all is now well.
madmanmick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Wed May 28, 2008 3:35 am

madmanmick wrote:No worries. I worked it out, there is a setting in Rythmbox that automatically checks the default music folder for changes in song files, and it had been automatically set to /home/music. I changed it to my NTFS drive and all is now well.

It's great that you worked it out! :)
Don't forget to add "SOLVED" to the title of this topic! :idea:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Software & Applications