[solved] WSIWYg editor, repositorty or should use mine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heyitsjeff

[solved] WSIWYg editor, repositorty or should use mine

Post by heyitsjeff »

Hi,

I've looked through the software repository by name, description and text and cant' find a WSIWYG web editor. Are there any available?

I've also looked online and just found a few dead or seemingly dead projects.

I'm no geek. I can tweak a little php, html, javascript, etc. but I can't program. Benn trying a long time and just don't think that way. I often use pre-made stuff, tweak it a little and insert it. That's about all I can do. I think visually and that's that. So, this this type of editor is necessary.

The site I'm currently working on is a news blog with an RSS feed, message board, site search, searchable links, Downloads, contributor pages, editorials, bios, videos, etc. I have most of the php components but I need to put it all together. These are my basic needs.

I can modify my needs but this is ideal.

Alternatively, if I don't have any options is it feasible to run my web editor via wine? I haven't used wine yet. NetObjects Fusion is a pretty major program with a lot of components. I'm not asking to this one specifically, it just basically uses a lot of different resources and I understand most setups in wine are pretty complicated as it is.

Thoughts? Bit of of a noob. Less than a week. My comp is Mint 14 MATE only. No windows partition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: WSIWYG web editor, repositorty or should use wine with m

Post by kc1di »

Hi heyitsjeff and welcome to mint,

Unfortunately Kompozer which was the standard web development tool I used for many years is no longer being developed and has been dropped from
the upstream repositories. I've been using Bluegriffon but you'll have to down load it from here and extract it from the download file.
here's the page
http://bluegriffon.org/
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

I'm not a fan of such WYSIWYG editors, but you may want to have a look at Amaya.

But remember that even the web isn't really WYSIWYG, because websites differ from different screen resolutions and browsers (which don't comply with web standards). Also the code generated by such editors often isn't optimal at all. So I still believe it is well worth the effort spending a few afternoons learning the basics of html and css.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
heyitsjeff

Post by heyitsjeff »

Thanks, all. I'll try all suggestions.

I used to be decent with code but after the injury it's been difficult. Also the last time I worked on a page was 2004 or 5 so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway, if it comes down to it I'll try my copy of netobjects in wine. But, I'll see how I like the others first. I can't afford Dreameaver, being on a fixed income.

I'll catch up. I'm a fast learner.

Much appreciated.

edited to say:

Going with Netobjects Fusion in Wine. Seems silly in bluegriffon one has to apy for the manual and the most useful features. so much for "free" software. I also downloaded cakephp.

Return to “Software & Applications”