Good Flash replacement or not???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Good Flash replacement or not???

Postby nomko on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Found this: http://lightspark.github.com/ and i was just woindering: is this a good Flash replacement or not??
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!
nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Good Flash replacement or not???

Postby nomko on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:34 pm

:?: nobody :?:
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!
nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Good Flash replacement or not???

Postby MtnDewManiac on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:03 am

Are you asking for the future or for now? Because I realize that Adobe has discontinued development of Flash for linux, so I assume that, at some point in the future, development will add features that the version available to us will not have - and that websites will be utilizing those features, meaning that we will not be able to view flash content on those websites.

However, it seems to work well enough now, doesn't it?

I just had a quick look at the website you linked to. The current status section does not state that their Flash player has all the capabilities/features that Adobe's Flash does; rather, it only states "Lightspark currently supports YouTube well enough for daily use." Which is an accomplishment, certainly, but it infers that there might be much still to accomplish before their work can reasonably be called an Adobe Flash replacement. Furthermore, there are two bugs listed from just three days ago, one of which mentions Youtube videos playing without audio, the other one stating, "Lightspark failing with some flash videos."

So, while it might be a good candidate for a replacement in the future, at this present point in time, I would think not.

DISCLAIMER: I have not used Lightspark; my thoughts spring only from what I read on that website's main page and on the software's bug list.

Regards,
MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user. Running 32-bit Mint 14 Xfce (with Xfce 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs). I have the best modern OS and it runs on my really old hardware, lol.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Software & Applications