Qt4.8.3 QThread serious bug

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jim Jensen

Qt4.8.3 QThread serious bug

Post by Jim Jensen »

I've reported QTBUG 30251 affecting Qt 4.8.x, which is a regression bug (worked OK in 4.7.4) that seriously affects multithreaded apps. I provided suggested corrective code in qthread_unix.cpp and qthread_win.cpp in function QThreadPrivate::finish(). The gist of the bug is that the user QThread::finished() handling slot is called before attributes running and finished are set, and the slot may attempt to delete a still-running thread. The Qt Project (Thiago) has acknowledged and resolved the bug. A fix will be included in Qt 4.8.5.

While I'm able to download the Qt-released qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.3.tar.gz and apply the fix, I am unable to locate the Ubuntu-modified 4.8.3 which is distributed with Mint 14.1. Installing the release 4.8.3 with my fix, while it enables my app to run successfuly, breaks some Mint-distributed software--notably hplip hp-setup and hp-systray.

I've emailed notices and a request for download link for the Ubuntu-modified Qt 4.8.3 to root@linuxmint.com and to other mint email addresses, multiple times, without response. All the Qt 4.8.3 sources I can locate online are the Qt released version, not the version as modified by Ubuntu and distributed by both Ubuntu and Mint. I have to say I'm keenly disappointed especially that Mint is unresponsive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Qt4.8.3 QThread serious bug

Post by xenopeek »

Please for future reference ask such kind of questions on the forums, as the developers have a lot on their plate and might not get around to answering such questions so close to a release of Linux Mint. They will be very busy.

Qt is installed from the Ubuntu repository, but there are an awful lot of Qt packages so I don't have clue which one you mean. So if you known the package name that has this file, you can look up that package here http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and download the source from there (Linux Mint 14.1 uses the quantal distribution). Or you can do from the terminal (without sudo!) if you have enabled the Ubuntu source code repositories (steps here on how to enable that: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 39#p626867) the following command to download the source code directly (replace packagename with the name of the package):

Code: Select all

apt-get source packagename
If you don't know the name of the package, then if you have the full path of the file you want to patch you can look up the package from which it was installed (where you replace fullpath with the full path of the file you want to patch):

dpkg -S fullpath
For example, to find out from where /bin/bash was installed:

dpkg -S /bin/bash
Will tell you it was installed from the package 'bash' (okay, no surprises here :wink:).

Return to “Software & Applications”