Sadly it''s back to Vista / Mintgoogle Breaks SiteAdvisor

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Sadly it''s back to Vista / Mintgoogle Breaks SiteAdvisor

Postby AWDriver on Thu May 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Is there a way to have the search bar to the right of the url bar use standard issue Google instead of the Linux Mint branded Google? McAfee SiteAdvisor doesn't work using the "Mint" branded Google search results.
I've tried restoring defaults but it goes back to using the Mint branded results with the icon in the top left and listings below. The formatting of results also sucks.

Thanks!
Last edited by AWDriver on Thu May 29, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWDriver
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Sadly it'ls back to Vista

Postby AWDriver on Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 pm

I found a way to change the search to regular Google in Firefox, unfortunately this breaks SiteAdvisor functionality since the icons no longer properly load to signify safety of the links (even when browsing through http://www.google.com) and not using the search bar shortcut.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled firefox and that didn't fix it either, and neither did uninstalling the add-on recommended in the below forum or reinstalling the siteadvisor plugin.

I'm really enjoying the Mint experience being a Linux n00b, but stuff like this in conjunction with the difficulty in finding complementary software to things like DIVX Converter and roboform are really making a switch to Linux as a full-time OS a tough sell. It doesn't help I could only barely get my Samsung SCX-4100 working with CUPS to print and scan programs crash on load ruining the multifunction aspects of the machine.

I've also noticed flash support is very weak still. Things run OK embedded in a site, but fullscreen the video bogs down the browser and causes framerate issues and program/system unresponsiveness. That alone is a deal breaker since I watch Charlie Rose episodes via Youtube.

It's been fun, but I'm going to have to stick with Vista as my main OS. This journey has just become too difficult and time consuming for it to be a practical alternative. I'll keep dabbling with Mint since it's fun to experiment but Linux still just doesn't seem there yet, manufacturers just aren't providing enough driver and software support and too much is still terminal based.

Below is the link to the forum that will let you change the search bar.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9504&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=google+search&start=30

Keep up the work developers, Mint is by far the best distro I've tried so far! Hopefully Debian/Ubuntu will come along far enough before Windows 7 that I won't need to spend hours each day searching for solutions to fulfill my daily computing needs in a Linux environment.
AWDriver
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sadly it''s back to Vista / Mintgoogle Breaks SiteAdvisor

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 30, 2008 12:16 am

Well it's sad to see someone leave. Good luck, and check back in six months for the next release. Maybe that will work out better for you.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AWDriver on Fri May 30, 2008 1:32 am

I'm not totally abandoning Linux, I'll keep Mint on my second partition to play with occasionally. It's just too time consuming having to find workarounds for issues and try and find alternative software for things that won't run under wine or isn't really available in Linux (like an xvid/divx encoder with a GUI so I don't have to punch code in the terminal).

I was really hoping to give Linux a home on my laptop as a primary OS, but lack of intuitive (non-terminal) software (both through usage and installation) and driver support for things like my scanner just make it too difficult. It's not something I'll have time for when I start up with law school in the fall, I can't dedicate hours to forums like I have now finding sudo codes so I can get AVG to properly update through the GUI, etc.

Fast platform though, why I decided to try it. I've noticed it greys out windows when the hard drive is being heavily accessed and makes them unresponsive, my only complaint aside from usability. Not sure why it would cause the system to "mini-hang" when most of the OS and apps should be residing in the ram.
AWDriver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 am

AWDriver wrote:like an xvid/divx encoder with a GUI so I don't have to punch code in the terminal

K9copy can do this, no terminal required.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AWDriver on Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 am

I need something for files that I pull off my Tivo and decrypt. k9Copy I understand is just a DVD Shrink so I'm not sure if it'd help with what I'm trying to accomplish.
AWDriver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 30, 2008 4:26 am

Oh sorry I don't know anything about Tivo. Maybe someone else here can help with that.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Andy Mack on Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 am

Use Yahoo search, mcafee guard thing shows up on that.
Andy Mack
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications