Mint Backup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint Backup

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 30, 2008 2:48 pm

I decided to try Mint Backup to see how it works, and ran into a small problem. I have no idea where it output the backup to, or if it even finished. I did get an error that it was not able to process a folder. I figured it was just that folder, so I clicked the "ok" button, and the window closed. That was it. The whole program closed with no indication whether or not anything had actually finished. If you know something I don't clue me in. 8)
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint Backup

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 30, 2008 3:41 pm

Ok I found it. The resulting backup file was put in my home directory. This is actually a nice little utility, although I'd prefer to have the option up front to have the file put on another drive.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Fri May 30, 2008 4:06 pm

The resulting backup file was put in my home directory.

Which makes mintbackup pretty useless to back up a home folder - Clem is working on it, I've read about it but don't remember exactly what he was thinking of
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Well yes I'd have to agree that backing up your /home folder to your /home folder doesn't make much sense, lol. Once I actually found it though it was simple enough to then move it. Hopefully Clem can make a simple dialog box that allows the user to both name the file, and choose the output directory. That would be a huge improvement.
Last edited by Lantesh on Fri May 30, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Software & Applications