Hibernation in Daryna

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Hibernation in Daryna

Postby tri on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:13 pm

I have a problem regarding to Daryna's hibernation in which my computer cannot turn hibernated everytime I want it to. When I click on the hibernation button, the computer seems to turn off as it tries to shut down all running applications and show all activities in a black screen. But it surprisingly reverts to login window and announces that Daryna cannot be hibernated for unviable problem. Is that a well-known issue in Ubuntu and its derivatives because I have seen some past discussions about this? My computer is equiped with intel-pentium IV 2.4GHz, 1GB Ram, and I allocated 512 Mb for swap memory. Do you have any suggestion, guys?
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hibernation in Daryna

Postby tri on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:15 pm

I thought it could be an unbalanced issue between the physical memory and swap as someone argued that swap should have the same capacity as ram for hibernation. Is it correct? But I remember I did exactly similar in Ubuntu Feisty and hibernation could work just fine. Well, I am rely on you guys, please help.
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:35 pm

For hibernation memory is written to swap, so the swap must be larger than memory - I think :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby tri on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:31 am

The point is my computer only uses up to 380MB out of 1000 hence that should be fit on the swap capacity. I could do the same thing on Ubuntu and got problem with Mint. I am still wondering how it happens.
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:17 pm

I may be wrong but I think the entire memory, even the empty parts, is "written" to disk
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications