Did Hamachi mess up my Internet?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mastermind16X

Did Hamachi mess up my Internet?

Post by mastermind16X »

I recently downloaded and installed Hamachi and Haguichi (because I like having a GUI option) and since then have noticed a drastic drop in my Internet speed. What happened, is there any way to fix it and still keep Hamachi, and, if there is, how do I go about fixing it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Did Hamachi mess up my Internet?

Post by xenopeek »

Of course that drops your Internet speed. I think Hamachi is a VPN something? So any Internet traffic goes through that VPN. So your Internet speed doesn't depend on how fast your Internet connection is, but how fast the VPN you use is and how much of its speed is available for you. You want faster Internet? Don't use a VPN.
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

What about when the program isn't on? I don't even have Hamachi active and my Internet speed drops. Or, at least I don't think it's active. I might be wrong on that.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can check I think with the ifconfig command. It would normally list eth0, wlan0 and lo. If you have an active VPN tunnel, tun0 will also be there. Or you can check with the route command, and see if the VPN tunnel is in your route tabel.
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

Okay, about the same time I downloaded Hamachi my brother started using the 5 MHz broadband connection, which slows down Internet connection for everyone except him. Hamachi wasn't doing it.
And when Hamachi isn't active, there is no open VPN.

Return to “Software & Applications”