Have strange problems with skype

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Have strange problems with skype

Postby qdr on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:18 am

Hello, first of all: 1) I am a n00b in linux, but i'm trying hard) 2) I've searched through the forum, but did not find similliar problems.

THe problem is - I'm riding a laptop with Daryna. I use an integrated mic, and when I launch Skype, I can talk to people for a random time. Like, sometimes they can hear me for 2 mins, sometimes for 13, after that, the mic just stops to work and people on the other side hear only static. I have to reboot the whole system to get it working again, but for a short period of time. I used some advices from the skype topic here, but they were only useful to activate the mic, and I don't know what to do...
P.S. Sorry for the fuzzy English, been drinking all night long ))
qdr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Have strange problems with skype

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:16 pm

This looks much to me as a problem with a capacitor
It "self heals" when you boot and then slowly gets bad
The fact that others only hear static supports this
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby qdr on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:55 pm

I've also installed WengoPhone and it has the same mic problem. I can't get a normal mic, to test, 'coz i'm in Turkey right now, so I've got booze, **** and linux-mint. I have Mint as a second system, installed 6 month ago. My main system was WinXPsp2 (never paid a cent), and everything run smooth, until, the first day in the Hotel (Concord, by the way) my primary ntfs partition got pwned by some nasty fragmentation, or a virus, hell knows. I was lucky enough (thanks to all mint staff for this) to discover the fixntfs routine, so that I could resurrect my second ntfs partition, with all the music, work, and p*rn ())).

But, enough with the off topic. I tried to play with alsamixer, after the problem occurred, but no luck. Perhaps someone could advice some other linux command to try.

2 Husse
I suck at basic electronics, but if you are right, it means I'll have to "unscrew" my laptop, to see, if everything is intact inside, or isn't it?
qdr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:05 pm

You would not find the capacitor unless you know exactly which one to look for
However it's my best shot
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby qdr on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:28 am

Though I do suck at basic electronics, I would definitely know, if something is burnt. Anyways, I'm going home tomorrow, and i'll test normal mic. Anyways, I'll definitely will upgrade my Daryna to Elyssa, 'coz, it literally saved arse. A big and willful thanks to all the Mint staff. Keep the good work. And additional thanks goes to Husse.
qdr
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications