gThumb and F-Spot also can't burn CD in Mint 5

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

gThumb and F-Spot also can't burn CD in Mint 5

Postby kingman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:45 am

I installed gthumb and f-spot. But these 2 prog also can't burn image into CD. What can I do?
kingman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: gThumb and F-Spot also can't burn CD in Mint 5

Postby blubbalub on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:59 am

Hi Kingman,
g-thumb and f-spot are programs for viewing and organizing pictures.
If you want to burn CDs, whether images or pure data just try Brasero. It should be installed by default and is located under the Multimedia-Sections of your programs.
blubbalub
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kingman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:41 am

Thank you.

But gthumb and f-spot both have the feature of burning image files into CD/DVD. Why fail? Is there something wrong by myself?
kingman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CavalierBob on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:40 pm

kingman wrote:Thank you.

But gthumb and f-spot both have the feature of burning image files into CD/DVD. Why fail? Is there something wrong by myself?

I can confirm the problem exists for both F-Spot & gthumb. Each error message was generated after I tried to burn photos to a CD using each application.

Code: Select all
bob@oakraider ~ $ gthumb

** (gthumb:25398): CRITICAL **: new_uri_from_path: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

(gthumb:25398): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_ref: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

(gthumb:25398): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_unref: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

(gthumb:25398): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_get_parent: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

(gthumb:25398): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_get_file_info_uri_cancellable: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

(gthumb:25398): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_unref: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

F-Spot error message:

f-spot error message.png
f-spot error message.png (22.27 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

Looks like both are related to some gnome-vfs bug, so this is an upstream error to Mint. Going to have to use Brasero until someone upstream fixes this bug.

EDIT: I added this info to Husse's bug report thread.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kingman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:03 pm

Thank you Bob,

I need to teach some elderly to use image viewer and burn selected photos files into CD. Which app can I use to teach them? Which distro is more userfriendly to elderly? And a big problem is we are Chinese in Hong Kong. Those distros or apps should support and display in Chinese Traditional.
kingman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CavalierBob on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:52 am

You may be able to get by just using the Gnome CD/DVD Creator in Nautilus. See below for more info on using this built-in Gnome function:

http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME_CD/DVD_Creator

Nautilus can provide thumbnails of the images, the built-in Image Viewer in Gnome can give you larger views, and the CD/DVD Creator can burn the photos onto a disk.

I would suspect Gnome of having very good translations of these built-in apps.

I just tried burning some JPEG's to a disk using CD/DVD Creator and it worked fine.

Good luck!

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications