New to Linux, Mint Help Please :)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

New to Linux, Mint Help Please :)

Postby Relentless on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to newish to Linux and am loving mint! but i have a few questions and problems that i cannot seem to solve with online help.

I am running Linux Mint 5.0 "Elyssa" on a computer with the following specifications:

Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 per core
ASUS P5N-E SLI (using onboard sound)
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 768mb (Dual 22" screens)
4GB DDR2 800mhz RAM
(Anymore details needed, let me know.)

First of all i am sorry if i have posted this in the wrong place.

As i have been working under windows for years i would like to get a virtual machine running windows vista, this i have done using Virtual Box which i like a lot, but i am having some problems.

1) I cannot get the virtual Vista machine to connect to the internet or even network, i followed these instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ight=canon but all that did was stop me from accessing the internet from Mint.

2) I cannot seem to get the machine to pick up any USB devices (Apart from mouse and keyboard), i followed these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12893 but again this did not help :(

3) I would like to get my 6.1 surround sound fully functional, at the moment only my front speakers are working and i cannot work out how to setup the sound devices to run different speaker sets.

4) I have installed the nvidia drivers for my 8800GTX using EnvyNG and have the full compiz setup working fine, which i must say is awsome! :D what i want to know as i am using dual screen, what is the difference between TwinView (The one i am using now) and Seperate X screen (cannot seem to get this to work), will the enable me to set up the individual monitors separately like in windows? and how would this effect the way the cube desktop works?

Any help would be highly appreciated! And thanks all in advance! :D

Peace,
Relentless.
Does anyone have any articles, tutorials and/or code snippets they would gladly submit to my site? Full reference and thanks to yourself and link back to you if wanted :D - Contact: io.relentless@gmail.com

Knowledge is Power.
Relentless
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New to Linux, Mint Help Please :)

Postby 900i on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:58 am

Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New to Linux, Mint Help Please :)

Postby Relentless on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help, so far i have been able to do the following:

Figured out how to get 6.1 sound working :) very pleased

I installed XP on virtual box instead of vista and had no problem with the network then, and because of this i can share my USB devices so i do not need to fix that problem yet.

Im learning and loving linux which is good!

Thanks again.

Relentless.
Does anyone have any articles, tutorials and/or code snippets they would gladly submit to my site? Full reference and thanks to yourself and link back to you if wanted :D - Contact: io.relentless@gmail.com

Knowledge is Power.
Relentless
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications