Virtualbox broke my system

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Virtualbox broke my system

Postby Sakonim on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Hello fellow minties! I'd just like to mention that I crapped up my system by trying to install virtual box on Elyssa via this method - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Virtu ... 85bdebb416 . I rebooted after following the steps mentioned there and I just got a blank white screen after login. I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting so I backed up my files and reinstalled. Anybody else had this problem? I'm not sure if this is a bug.
Image

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
User avatar
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby miket on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 am

Hi !

Sakonim wrote:Hello fellow minties! I'd just like to mention that I crapped up my system by trying to install virtual box on Elyssa via this method - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Virtu ... 85bdebb416 .


The term "Crapped up my system" really doesn't tell us very much ...

I rebooted after following the steps mentioned there and I just got a blank white screen after login. I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting so I backed up my files and reinstalled. Anybody else had this problem? I'm not sure if this is a bug.


If you followed this process I will hazard a guess that you didn't setup the bridging of the network correctly. This will cause some strange problems if not
performed correctly. There is a script that will make things easier for you here : viewtopic.php?f=150&t=11932

VirtualBox itself works perfectly if installed correctly, I have installed it on no end of machines now without any problem whatsoever, I think "User Error"
is the most likely cause of your problems.
A little quality time spent troubleshooting can really add to ones Linux experience :)

Mike.
User avatar
miket
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 am
Location: UK & France

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby Sakonim on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 am

AvanceIT wrote:Hi !

Sakonim wrote:Hello fellow minties! I'd just like to mention that I crapped up my system by trying to install virtual box on Elyssa via this method - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Virtu ... 85bdebb416 .


The term "Crapped up my system" really doesn't tell us very much ...

I rebooted after following the steps mentioned there and I just got a blank white screen after login. I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting so I backed up my files and reinstalled. Anybody else had this problem? I'm not sure if this is a bug.


If you followed this process I will hazard a guess that you didn't setup the bridging of the network correctly. This will cause some strange problems if not
performed correctly. There is a script that will make things easier for you here : viewtopic.php?f=150&t=11932

VirtualBox itself works perfectly if installed correctly, I have installed it on no end of machines now without any problem whatsoever, I think "User Error"
is the most likely cause of your problems.
A little quality time spent troubleshooting can really add to ones Linux experience :)

Mike.


I'm beginning to think it was probably user-error as well. But I've installed virtualbox many times before without encountering a problem either so I found it quite strange. I'll follow the instructions on the script you mention as I want to get it installed. And I'm getting a bit lazy these days since mint has worked so well for me that I have hardly had to do any troubleshooting. Thanks Mike.
Image

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
User avatar
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby subslug on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 pm

I get a blank white screen when switching from one user to another.

All I need to do is blindly type my user name and password then the desktop comes back up. I guess I never really paid any attention before I installed Vbox, but it sure does get a white screen afterwards.
Instead of installing the older Vbox version in the repositories I grabbed the newer version from Sun so just an FYI to anyone else, the newer version doesn't fix the issue yet.
User avatar
subslug
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby foggytown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Hmmm.....

I am running VirtualBox on Elyssa without issues, no white screen here. I am running the non open source version from Sun. Available here:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I don't use compiz, could that be the difference?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
User avatar
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA usa

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby subslug on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

foggytown wrote:Hmmm.....

I am running VirtualBox on Elyssa without issues, no white screen here. I am running the non open source version from Sun. Available here:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I don't use compiz, could that be the difference?


Could be actually.

I sometimes see weird things going on with my open window title bars too and I'm almost certain that's a Compiz issue.
User avatar
subslug
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby Sakonim on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:28 pm

subslug wrote:I get a blank white screen when switching from one user to another.

All I need to do is blindly type my user name and password then the desktop comes back up. I guess I never really paid any attention before I installed Vbox, but it sure does get a white screen afterwards.
Instead of installing the older Vbox version in the repositories I grabbed the newer version from Sun so just an FYI to anyone else, the newer version doesn't fix the issue yet.


I'm not sure if that is a vbox issue - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/160264
Image

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
User avatar
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby daniel on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:53 pm

I did a fresh install a few days ago and am adding my old applications. Last night I tried running virtualbox because I have to set up the users, I tried ruring vb and it asked me to add the kernel something -os-generic for virtualbox, after restarting I got the blank white screen. I booted into a safe mode in the sessions option and uninstalled everything virtualbox, it was late so I just shut down and haven't restarted so don't know if that fixed it. I'm searching google for a solution because I think it happened to me last time with 4.o. I'll try deactivating compiz to see if that solves it. I'll keep searching - good luck to my white screen buddies - you are not alone
daniel
 

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests