Virtualbox broke my system

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Virtualbox broke my system

Postby Sakonim on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Hello fellow minties! I'd just like to mention that I crapped up my system by trying to install virtual box on Elyssa via this method - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Virtu ... 85bdebb416 . I rebooted after following the steps mentioned there and I just got a blank white screen after login. I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting so I backed up my files and reinstalled. Anybody else had this problem? I'm not sure if this is a bug.

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Virtualbox broke my system

Postby miket on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 am

Hi !

Sakonim wrote:Hello fellow minties! I'd just like to mention that I crapped up my system by trying to install virtual box on Elyssa via this method - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Virtu ... 85bdebb416 .

The term "Crapped up my system" really doesn't tell us very much ...

I rebooted after following the steps mentioned there and I just got a blank white screen after login. I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting so I backed up my files and reinstalled. Anybody else had this problem? I'm not sure if this is a bug.

If you followed this process I will hazard a guess that you didn't setup the bridging of the network correctly. This will cause some strange problems if not
performed correctly. There is a script that will make things easier for you here : viewtopic.php?f=150&t=11932

VirtualBox itself works perfectly if installed correctly, I have installed it on no end of machines now without any problem whatsoever, I think "User Error"
is the most likely cause of your problems.
A little quality time spent troubleshooting can really add to ones Linux experience :)

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Sakonim on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 am

AvanceIT wrote:Hi !

Sakonim wrote:Hello fellow minties! I'd just like to mention that I crapped up my system by trying to install virtual box on Elyssa via this method - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Virtu ... 85bdebb416 .

The term "Crapped up my system" really doesn't tell us very much ...

I rebooted after following the steps mentioned there and I just got a blank white screen after login. I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting so I backed up my files and reinstalled. Anybody else had this problem? I'm not sure if this is a bug.

If you followed this process I will hazard a guess that you didn't setup the bridging of the network correctly. This will cause some strange problems if not
performed correctly. There is a script that will make things easier for you here : viewtopic.php?f=150&t=11932

VirtualBox itself works perfectly if installed correctly, I have installed it on no end of machines now without any problem whatsoever, I think "User Error"
is the most likely cause of your problems.
A little quality time spent troubleshooting can really add to ones Linux experience :)

Mike.

I'm beginning to think it was probably user-error as well. But I've installed virtualbox many times before without encountering a problem either so I found it quite strange. I'll follow the instructions on the script you mention as I want to get it installed. And I'm getting a bit lazy these days since mint has worked so well for me that I have hardly had to do any troubleshooting. Thanks Mike.

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2

Postby subslug on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 pm

I get a blank white screen when switching from one user to another.

All I need to do is blindly type my user name and password then the desktop comes back up. I guess I never really paid any attention before I installed Vbox, but it sure does get a white screen afterwards.
Instead of installing the older Vbox version in the repositories I grabbed the newer version from Sun so just an FYI to anyone else, the newer version doesn't fix the issue yet.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby foggytown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Hmmm.....

I am running VirtualBox on Elyssa without issues, no white screen here. I am running the non open source version from Sun. Available here:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I don't use compiz, could that be the difference?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby subslug on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

foggytown wrote:Hmmm.....

I am running VirtualBox on Elyssa without issues, no white screen here. I am running the non open source version from Sun. Available here:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I don't use compiz, could that be the difference?

Could be actually.

I sometimes see weird things going on with my open window title bars too and I'm almost certain that's a Compiz issue.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sakonim on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:28 pm

subslug wrote:I get a blank white screen when switching from one user to another.

All I need to do is blindly type my user name and password then the desktop comes back up. I guess I never really paid any attention before I installed Vbox, but it sure does get a white screen afterwards.
Instead of installing the older Vbox version in the repositories I grabbed the newer version from Sun so just an FYI to anyone else, the newer version doesn't fix the issue yet.

I'm not sure if that is a vbox issue - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/160264

Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2

Postby daniel on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:53 pm

I did a fresh install a few days ago and am adding my old applications. Last night I tried running virtualbox because I have to set up the users, I tried ruring vb and it asked me to add the kernel something -os-generic for virtualbox, after restarting I got the blank white screen. I booted into a safe mode in the sessions option and uninstalled everything virtualbox, it was late so I just shut down and haven't restarted so don't know if that fixed it. I'm searching google for a solution because I think it happened to me last time with 4.o. I'll try deactivating compiz to see if that solves it. I'll keep searching - good luck to my white screen buddies - you are not alone
daniel

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications