Firefox 3 scrolls slowly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox 3 scrolls slowly

Postby hoppel on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:32 am

Hi,

I don't know, whether this is some kind of bug or whether this is caused by a bad configuration: I recently installed Elyssa, and with it the new Firefox 3. I'm really satisfied with it, it loads pages faster and has some other nice goodies. But when it comes to scrolling up and down a page, it seems to be quite slow. I also tested FF3 under Windows, where this doesn't happen. I compared it with Opera, which also seems to be faster. I tested Swiftfox, a cpu-optimized version of FF, and it is quite the same problem. Maybe this has nothing to do with the software itself, but with the graphics driver (ATI 9600 with the nonfree driver), because I also have problems with playing videos smoothly.
But I really don't know and would appreciate any help.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox 3 scrolls slowly

Postby 67GTA on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 pm

It is the ATI driver. I saw several posts about poor video playback and firefox scrolling/rendering slowly especially with the 9600 on the Ubuntu forums during Hardy development. You might try the Ubuntu forums to see if any fixes have been posted.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby hoppel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 am

Thanks, I already suspected this reason. I will look that up, as soon as I'm able to boot my system again - unfortunately the driver crashed my system lately after I tried using Second Life. And it crashed everything, now gdm startup interrupts... The driver seems to have big problems with video acceleration and 3d-playback. :(
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tri on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:46 am

You may want to configure Firefox's default settings. Type about:config from Address bar, and type Mouse from Search location. After that you scroll down to the key called mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines and change its settings to FALSE, then change the key mousewheel.withnokey.numlines to 3 or 5 that up to you. Now you can see the difference.
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Postby hoppel on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 pm

At first I thought it would be better now, but no, this doesn't help. :-(
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications