unable to install 'skype'

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
biffer
Level 2
Level 2

unable to install 'skype'

Post by biffer »

Hi,

I'm using Daryna very happily. However when I tried to download skype I first got a message about 'backing up APT sources'. This took over 30mins.
Skype then downloaded itself to the desktop, I think okay.

I then selected the five packages to be installed but, when I tried to install them to the hard drive, they all failed. I got messages about 'failing to fetch' from archive.ubuntu.com....... the reasons being on packages 1, 4, and 5 'connection timed out' and on packages 2 and 3 'no route to host'.

I'm totally lost here and would really appreciate some guidance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: unable to install 'skype'

Post by 67GTA »

It sounds like you are using mintinstall. This sounds like a connection or server problem. Try running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
in a terminal to see if it can download from all of the server repos. I suspect this is where the problem is. Sometimes a server can be down or overloaded. This usually clears up after a while.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
biffer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biffer »

Right, I tried that without success. I first got:

security.ubuntu.com gutsy-security Release gpg. could not connect No route to host

Then it carried on with a few more tries with slightly different phrasing like medibuntu but either got the same as above or 'connection timed out' and never got past 33%.

Summat wrong somewhere, I suspect?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Do you have a working internet connection?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
biffer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biffer »

Yes, Broadband. Will next connect to one of my favourite sites, http://www.honestjohn.co.uk.

Return to “Software & Applications”