Core fonts for Firefox3 and Opera 9.5 in Elyssa solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Core fonts for Firefox3 and Opera 9.5 in Elyssa solved

Postby tri on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:57 am

I used to get a very nice and stable fonts in both Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 when using Daryna. But things has changed completely after I decide to upgrade to Elyssa. I recognised that Firefox now uses Liberation font rather Bitstream Vera and turn my all favorite sites to a bad look. I don't know that really going on with Elyssa so far.
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Core fonts for Firefox3 and Opera 9.5 in Elyssa

Postby Husse on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:05 pm

This is a FF problem - nothing we can do anything about - the difference is not all that big and I've kinda begun to like the new fonts
And as always with FF the default is to let the pages set the font....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby tri on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:48 am

I make some search on Ubuntu forum and found a good solution.
In /home directory, make a file named .fonts.conf and type:

<?xml version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
<const>rgb</const>
</edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
<const>hintfull</const>
</edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>
</fontconfig>

Save it and restart the system. Everything turns to normal. :D
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rivenought on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:55 am

Tri,

You could always just change your default fonts in Mint to use your favorites. mintMenu > Control Panel > Look and Feel - Appearance, and set all of your fonts from there. Also, you do have pretty much complete control concerning how your fonts are displayed on your system, so tweak away. Not sure, but do the settings in this section reflect the same adjustments you made using the command line? If so, you may find it easier and quicker in the future to change your settings using the GUI.

I have found the default Liberation fonts to be just fine for my needs. The only adjustment I have performed was changing the default font type in Firefox and Opera from "serif" to "sans serif," so as you can see, not a big deal at all. Also, as Husse said, in Firefox, you can force websites to use your fonts only, thereby homogenizing your visuals.

These Liberation fonts look great in my printouts through OpenOffice, as well. I do not install the Microsoft fonts with any of the distros I use. Red Hat has made another positive and useful contribution to the Linux community.
Last edited by rivenought on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby tri on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:08 am

I did exactly what you have said because I normally use sans-serif in both Opera and Firefox. The problem as I found that not just apply to those web browser but the terminal font as well. The system font runs pretty well hence I have no complain on it so far. What I've done is to make a file as described above and saved it onto /home directory to make those blurred fonts to return normal.
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tri on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:20 pm

Anyway, after install the fonts.conf in your /home directory, go to the screen resolution and change the refresh rate to a bit higher value.

To change Firefox's ugly rendering fonts, I have another tip here:

'After changing the fonts around on Reddit with the (mostly broken) Firebug extension, I narrowed the problem down to Helvetica. According to "fc-match", helvetica was mapping to Nimbus Sans L, which is the default - and also looks awful. DejaVu sans, on the other hand, happens to look great.

To map Helvetica to DejaVu sans instead of Nimbus, simply edit /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf (you'll need sudo) and replace all occurrences of Nimbus Sans L with DejaVu Sans in the XML. Restart Firefox and you'll be good to go.'

Hope that help.
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Guestman on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:00 pm

tri, this topic is incredible!

You can see here for a solution to have good fonts in Firefox (or Opera):

In firefox I use fonts from DejaVu (or Bitstream Vera) family and the web is very good!...................
But you must also think in the preferences, to uncheck the box "Allowing pages to choose their own fonts instead of those chosen above"

The default fonts in Linux Mint 5 work just fine for my needs. Liberation and DejaVu are great choices............

I also adjusted Firefox and Thunderbird to use my choice of fonts and not the fonts a website or correspondent uses. That way, I get a consistent experience all over my system with my Liberation fonts. It works for me.

This is very simple to do and after the fonts in Firefox or Opera are very good! No need for a file 'fonts.conf' or other *crap* like that!
Guestman

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications