updating to kernel 2.6.25-*

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

updating to kernel 2.6.25-*

Postby Corban on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 am

Not sure if this is in the right section but anyway....can somebody give me some help on compiling/installing a .25 version linux kernel in mint. i have tryed before in ubuntu using some gui but there were many post-compile config options i was unfamilir with. so i canceled as i didn't want to stuff something up and i would really like to be using one of the latest kernels in mint. I mean love mint very much. and i would like to use the lastest kernel if possible....also wondering about compiling KDE4 for mint. but yeh thanks in advance
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: updating to kernel 2.6.25-*

Postby Lantesh on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:04 pm

You can install 2.6.24-19 right in Mint Update. That's a little newer than what Elyssa comes with. I went this route, and after verifying it worked correctly I then went into synaptic and uninstalled the original 2.6.24-16 kernel.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Corban on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:36 am

But my question isn't about updateing kernel to the 2.6.24.18 or 19 kernel basically i think i'm just looking for tips on what options to enable/disable to compile the 2.6.25.* kernel. But then again i'm thinking of switching to openSUSE 11 which just came out which uses the 2.6.25.5 kernel and i'm finding it very hard to to manage with a 32bit version of linux which is the only pc arch that mint supports as i run applications that i need to give 2GB of ram to. now i have 5.5GB of ram in my machine but unforuntaly 32bit only gives me 3.5GB available. but thats a whole new issue. But i love linux mint so much it's really hard to choose
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:57 am

For what is is worth, you will most likely get the best service with your Mint 5 install if you stick to the default kernel that came with it. Everything has been set up to focus on that kernel. When you change a kernel, it can have unforeseen consequences. You can update to a newer kernel in Synaptic if you acknowledge there may be breakage. If you go with a whole new kernel not officially supported in Mint or Ubuntu yet, all bets are off as to what the result might be. Though, if you are the adventurous type, you may find success. Just be aware there can always be a downside. Experimentation is always the fun part of the learning process.

In my openSUSE 11 install, the kernel is 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae i686 running KDE 4.04 "Release 15.1." I have been tweaking and adjusting all weekend. It has plenty of bells and whistles, to be sure. I previously used the 64-bit install with version 10.3, but only saw minor improvements in performance. If you have 4 GB of RAM, then you should go with the 64-bit install. However, be aware that there are still some Java issues with 64-bit, so I am running the 32-bit version right now. There are a couple of openSUSE guys in here, so you can get their opinions.

Also, if you plan on testing out openSUSE, do not be tempted to get the Live CD of GNOME or KDE. You actually need the full DVD version. The extra time you spend downloading the 4.3 GB DVD will more than pay for itself in the long run. The torrent took me 23 hours to download, but I knew what I needed, so I suffered through it. I figured I was not in a hurry since I do everything I need in Mint 5 anyway. All that being said, I am sitting here drinking coffee and keying this in with Mint 5. Good luck, and please post back to let us know of your progress.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby copycat on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 am

Why is there always people wanting to have the latest kernel? Unless you're looking for a very specific improvement for a very specific hardware (or are a developer), you should stick to the latest, absolute stable, kernels.

Just my $0,02
copycat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Corban on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:57 am

just for fun and learning i'm currently as i type this compiling the 2.6.25.8 kernel the latest stable kernel from kernel.org. I will let you guys know how i go. And if something dies i was going to format re-install linux anyway. this was just to try
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:08 am

Corbna, the best of luck to you. Of course, I for one am awaiting to hear about your experience and results. Have fun!
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Corban on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:29 am

Well...it installed but on boot i got a kernel panic...probably becoz i compiled it as a 64bit kernel as i have a 64bit cpu then afterwards thought wait a minute i can't try and boot straight into a 64bit kernel in an 32bit os. so yeh...i guess one day when i understand linux more i may attempt to get a 64bit version of mint going. unless it's already being done. Coz i can't properly function without 64bit linux. unfortunately for me mint is also my fav distro...i love the 'start' menu system it's just designed ingeniously.
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Postby matheos on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:19 pm

to know the good modules to choose in menuconfig , follow the gentoo handbook guide for amd64 : http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7
résistant comme un pingouin qui sourit en plein millieu de l'artique
matheos
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications