Problems with mintUpdate?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problems with mintUpdate?

Postby ScrotzaN on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:43 pm

Hey, anyone else who has problems with mintupdate?

it doesnt seem to update properly.

For example, if I wait a few days and I havent gotten any updates.
I click the mintupdate icon and no updates. I manually click the "update" button, no updates.

I close mintupdate and then start synaptic, click "reread" or whatever its called in english, im swedish so all my menus are in swedish:)

And then I can close down synaptic and start mintupdate and then there will be all available updates there.

I couldnt find any obvious error so I just stopped using mintupdate and now update manually through apt instead since im often using the console.

Im using the RC2 and im not interested in reinstalling right now so.. I really like mintupdate when it works though so If anybody knows anything and has an easy solution I welcome it very much:)
ScrotzaN
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problems with mintUpdate?

Postby mike^ on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Has it ever worked correctly using RC2?
The easy solution is to do a fresh install of the current release. And be careful about installing from Synaptic or APT. Unless, of course, you know what you are doing.
For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope - Albert Einstein
mike^
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ScrotzaN on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Yes, it worked previously. Dont know exactly when it broke though.

awell, guess i'll just use apt until I have to reinstall sometime:)
ScrotzaN
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:05 pm

There are several people with similar issues in relation to mintUpdate. I have found that if I click the "refresh" button, the updates will appear. Not sure what the exact problem is, but there have been several threads about this behavior. I just give it an extra click, and all is then well again.

As an aside, while you are reading through threads, you may also see posts about some who do wholesale updates in Synaptic having problems. It is safer to use mintUpdate with Level 1, 2, and 3 updates. Ultimately, you must decide what is the best method for your machine. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications