Firefox profile sharing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox profile sharing

Postby Lim-Dul on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:03 am

I don't know if anybody has any experience in that regard. I'm currently sharing both my Thunderbird and Firefox profiles between Windows and Linux (they're both on my NTFS partition but that doesn't matter - it could be the other way round). While everything is working fine in Thunderbird I get some strange behavior when using Firefox - every time I switch OS-es it tells me that "new extensions have been installed". Three in Linux and one in Windows. May this be connected to the fact that Mint is using the non-final version of Firefox 3?
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox profile sharing

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 pm

Lim-Dul,

When sharing between Windows and Linux you will have to be careful. Unfortunately, there are a number of extensions that will only work on Windows. Or actually, some extensions that use a separate code base for Windows and Linux. Trying to share these between the two OSs will create problems.

I have tried this with mixed results. As long as I am very careful I can make it work ok. But installing the wrong extension will cause the world to come to an end. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Software & Applications