Safetly upgrade from the commandline

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Safetly upgrade from the commandline

Postby BlahBlah_X on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey folks. I am in a chroot to develop my mint CE, and I need to update the system. How can I update without breaking the system? On ubuntu, I would use aptitude or apt-get, but this would break mint. Is there some kind of commandline MintUpdate? Or can I somehow get the list of unsafe packages that MintUpdate uses to apply to apt-get or aptitude?

Thanks in advance.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Safetly upgrade from the commandline

Postby Fred on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:12 pm

BlahBlah_X,

I am afraid it isn't that simple. The hard part is the "safely" in your thread topic. :-)

I did something similar and would recommend using aptitude, but you can expect breakage. There just isn't a one-click upgrade solution for Mint that will not be problematic.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby BlahBlah_X on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:28 am

I mean I could do apt-get upgrade without confirming to get the list of packages that could be upgraded, then paste them into a textfile, then take the unsafe packages from mintupdate, and remove those from that textfile, then repaste the textfile back into apt-get install. But, this is a long and time consuming process.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 am

BlahBlah_X,

If you want to see what will happen, you can run aptitude with the -s switch. It won't actually do anything, but will show you what would happen. The -s switch is "simulate."

sudo aptitude -ys safe-upgrade

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby cb474 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 am

I have a somewhat related question, which is: What is the difference between mintUpdate and aptitude safe-upgrade? it seems like aptitude safe-upgrade wants to upgrade almost all the same files, but a couple more.
cb474
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications