Installing Alien Arena Linux 13 Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daniel Ashley

Installing Alien Arena Linux 13 Mint

Post by Daniel Ashley »

I'm having difficulty installing a game. I have recently moved from Win7 to Linux mint 13 maya. The game I want to install is Alien Arena. Now, I am very new to Linux, only having made the OS change about two days ago. I am still very much learning the basics and trying to wrap my head around the changes in system functions. I would like to install this game but have not the slightest clue on how to do so. I am not very versed with the terminal and have next to no idea about how it works. I'm hoping someone could help me install this game, after which I'm praying i have a better understanding of how Linux works.

P.S. I did, first, find the game on Linux's 'Software Manager' but after a few failed attemps at installing it, it merely shows up on the menu but will not start/execute. The reviews do mention that the makers are working on this and that it should be downloaded from one of the provided links. After downloading the full game and unpacking it from the compressed folder it came in, I am now sitting clueless as to how to actually install it as Linux bares almost no resemblence to Windows which I had a better understanding of.

I hope, and will be very appreciative if, someone can help me farely soon, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cortman

Re: Installing Alien Arena Linux 13 Mint

Post by cortman »

Try running (in a terminal)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge alien-arena
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install alien-arena
See if that will work for you. It is basically reinstalling it (hopefully correctly this time!)
Good luck!
Daniel Ashley

Post by Daniel Ashley »

Oh geez. I did exactly what you said, input those codes one-by-one into the terminal and it did stuff, updated, rebuild, installed etc...but it doesn't seem to want to start. It shows that it's loaded because I can see it in my menu under games but that's about it. When I click on it to launch it doesn't do anything. :(

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?
cortman

Post by cortman »

Try starting it from a terminal and post the output- i.e., run

Code: Select all

alien-arena
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nalsdixit »

on linux mint 13, xfce, having the same problem. here is what the terminal shows

nals@nals-UX21E ~ $ alien-arena
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/nals/.config/alien-arena/data1': Permission denied
using /home/nals/.config/alien-arena/arena for writing
Could not exec default.cfg
Could not exec config.cfg
Could not exec profile.cfg
Console initialized.
--------- [Loading Renderer] ---------
Master server at 69.136.224.226:27900
Sending shutdown to 69.136.224.226:27900
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx
-----------------

what should i do ?