Vertical Scrolling with Clicks

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
John_Beatty

Vertical Scrolling with Clicks

Post by John_Beatty »

It always used to be the case (Windows GUI, Ubuntu & Mint up until recently) that a left click on a vertical scroll bar, outside of the visible scroll button itself, would move said button by the equivalent of a 'page-up' or 'page-down'. In certain programs (e.g. Nemo), clicking outside the button now moves the button all the way to the point that is clicked. Other programs, such as Firefox, continue to implement the page-at-atime behaviour. I realise that this is probably a per-program behaviour, but it sure is confusing to the user.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Vertical Scrolling with Clicks

Post by xenopeek »

To my knowledge, all Gtk+ 3 applications such as Nemo and the Terminal implement the same behavior of scroll to where you click on the scroll bar. Applications using other toolkits, such as Gedit using Gtk+ 2 on Linux Mint or VirtualBox using Qt, all scroll one page up/down when you click on the scroll bar as you describe. Firefox is a Gtk+ 2 application. It behaves the same as other applications using the Gtk+2 toolkit.
exocomp

Re: Vertical Scrolling with Clicks

Post by exocomp »

I couldn't find anyway to change the behavior, but at least for the terminal you can use <shift>-<pageup>/<pagedown> to scroll up and down a page at a time.

Return to “Software & Applications”