Could not grab your mouse

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby The Doctor on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:47 am

When I click on the package manager I get this dialogue box:
A Malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus.
Try again.

When I try again, the same dialogue box comes up and I can not get the package manager to open.

Any Ideas?
The Doctor
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Could not grab your mouse

Postby OnlyMe on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:56 am

I had that happen the other day. Now my laptop screen just flickers for a second and no package manager.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Celeron
OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Postby The Doctor on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:14 am

Sounds like a distro problem. I just got finished re-inatlling and adding my software favorites.
The Doctor
Level 2
Level 2

Postby hallandnash on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:21 am

I've had this problem and know the fix :) ...

The problem is when you click on the Package Manager the menu stays open. This causes the error because there is a security function to disallow keyloggers to trap your password.

There are 2 ways to fix this:

1. After clicking on the package manager, click your desktop, this closes the menu.
or
2. Make sure all Items are showing in the menu (Place,Applications,System). There should be no "tab" bar on the left and a blank dot at the top. When you click on any item in the menu now it should close the menu.
hallandnash

Postby OnlyMe on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:50 pm

Thank you, hallandnash, #1 did it for me.
OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Postby OnlyMe on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 pm

OnlyMe wrote:Thank you, hallandnash, #1 did it for me.

Thank you, hallandnash! #1 did it for me, too.
OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Jjude on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:44 pm

#1 did it for me too, thanks for that!
Thanks johonunu for userbar.
Jjude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thackermon2 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:17 pm

#1, and #2 worked. Simply clearing the square in the upper left corner solves the issue -- no need to click the desktop.

Thanks!
thackermon2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dean2k on Sun May 24, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks a million!! :D That's a weird bug. Anyone know if the stable Gloria will resolve that?
dean2k
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rdonnelly on Sun May 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks, I did step 2 and it worked for me also :P I have Gloria, and the bug also.
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 KDE Plasma 4.10.5
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Calib on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! 8) 8) 8) :D
Calib
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrome46 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks a million - #2 if any one's counting.
chrome46
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jomel on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:01 am

Am new to Linux Mint and have the same problem which occurs every session. Thanks to this forum I am able to fix it but it is a bit annoying.
Any news of a fix?
jomel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby absheva on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:19 am

I have been using Ubuntu since Gutsy. Before that it was OpenSUSE. I just loaded Mint in a virtual box. I have Ubuntu up and running in another virtual box. I am working hard to fight the "it doesn't work that way in Ubuntu" Both solution 1 and 2 work for me. Thanks, It is reassuring that answers are only a search away.
absheva
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Starkoman on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:35 am

Thank you hallandnash - it does work.

But WHY SHOULD IT? The OP was in July 2008! It may be understandable that such a stupid bug could get through back then but it's now October 2009 and nothing's been done, obviously. If Linux is ever to attract switchers from Windoze and other newbies, this sort of thing can be very offputting.

Developers - please! In the name of all that is holy - give newbies a piss-simple GUI that does it all for you in a simple, bug-free way. Surely, that's not too much to expect and ask?

After all, that's what we switched to Linux Mint for in the first place!
Starkoman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby teabicky on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:24 am

hallandnash wrote:I've had this problem and know the fix :) ...

The problem is when you click on the Package Manager the menu stays open. This causes the error because there is a security function to disallow keyloggers to trap your password.

1. After clicking on the package manager, click your desktop, this closes the menu.
or
2. Make sure all Items are showing in the menu (Place,Applications,System). There should be no "tab" bar on the left and a blank dot at the top. When you click on any item in the menu now it should close the menu.

Thank you, such a simple fix for a strange bug. We are into October 2009 and it has yet to be fixed
teabicky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scythekain on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:03 pm

I was having this problem as well and it was irritating me to no end. I finally found a cure to the malady though:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/406784

The screenshot below shows the menu "activated", the little blue square next to the word "System" is the problem. Click it and the "problem" goes away.
I still think this is a bug, as when you launch Synaptic it should override the "tack" option that this square obviously represents.
Attachments
Menu.png
Screenshot of window
Menu.png (186.88 KiB) Viewed 11474 times
"Perceiving the truth has always been a challenge to mankind, but in the information age (or as I think of it, the disinformation age) it takes on a special urgency and importance. "

-Michael Crichton
scythekain
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Vidar on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:31 am

I have just installed Mint a week ago and this is the first annoying bug that I came a cross. No biggie since forum search gave the answer. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next release...
Vidar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rickyjuniar on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 am

hallandnash wrote:I've had this problem and know the fix :) ...

or

thank you..
rickyjuniar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Neuromancer on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:35 pm

Great, I thought I fscked something up.............thats on Gloria too.........

Actually in light of real bugs? When I go to Control Panel and hit synaptic no problems..........but will definitely close Menu after clicking.........the message seemed to want me to stay on the menu over synaptic.....then again, I could be very, very wrong? But on any debian based system? Synaptic is not to be trusted..........its faster(actually its not, but) , its visual, its easier..........but real men use apt or aptitude or a preferred distro tool...........haven't worked too much with the other package tool on mint.....but I would blame this on the ever shady synaptic, rather than the distro..........just my opinion..........glad I have a reason so I don't start hacking away and uninstalling something that isn't broken so much is conflicted between two processes and sudo and root perms............thanks for the question and the heads up.

cheers
Neuromancer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Software & Applications