Computer Science / Programming

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Computer Science / Programming

Postby bjb_nyj101 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:07 am

I want to practice some programming now, whats a good language that I could start learning to code with? Something cross-platform. I was thinking python...

Thanks,bj
bjb_nyj101
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Computer Science / Programming

Postby Phosgene on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:48 am

Python is a good language to learn; there is alot of documentation for new programmers who haven't programmed in their life. It's also not just a 'newbie language'. Python can be used in any situation for a range of tasks. NASA use Python for example, and being very high level Python is easy to read and modify, it's not far from Pseudocode in that sense.

There are many great Ebooks for Python, if you want any let me know and I'll PM you some download links.
Phosgene
Level 2
Level 2

Postby lakehousetech on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:51 am

Are you specifically interested only in software development? Java is a great multi-platform language with some really great IDE's available that have plugin capability for other languages (Eclipse). On the hardware end it's good to learn some assembly language as well. That way you can better understand what is happening at all machine levels.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby danbuter on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:43 pm

For a first language, Python is hard to beat. It' easy to read, used a lot in Linux, and has a ton of free documentation online.
danbuter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Phosgene on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 am

After Python, move onto C and asm, they fit nicely inside one-another. Assembly language is lovely to program in and will help you learn a lot about system internals.
Phosgene
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications