Firefox 3 Modified Search

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Firefox 3 Modified Search

Postby bjb_nyj101 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:49 am

Personally, I don't have a problem with Mint changing Firefox's homepage to a Mint one with the googleMint search. That is to be expected. I do see problems with changing a core function of a third party application, without asking for the users' consent, and without giving them a clear way to revert to the original settings (until it brought up complaints on the forum). We all understand that Mint is not being developed by full-time, working employees. IMO, that doesn't give Mint the right to cripple the Firefox search bar because
clem wrote: we found a way to finance ourselves and that could even save us selling support.

This kind of thing should be opt-in. The user should be asked if they want to have their applications fundamentally changed. Mint is supposed to be more user friendly version Ubuntu. I don't see how forcing a less-funcional version of google search upon people fits into that billing.

I read that they are planning on 'branding' Konqueror and Opera as well. This should not be done. Tell people that they can help out mint financially be doing 'xyz'. Then give people a way to install/enable/configure 'xyz'. Don't force these types of things upon people, when they aren't asking for it.
bjb_nyj101
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox 3 Modified Search

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:38 pm

It's a kind of branding
No more strange than we have a Mint version of Open office
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby bjb_nyj101 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Husse wrote:It's a kind of branding
No more strange than we have a Mint version of Open office

its more than branding. They changed the way the firefox search works and stripped features for personal gain, without asking if users wanted a less functional version of google search.
bjb_nyj101
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Phosgene on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:34 pm

I posted a short workaround to this problem in the HOWTO section. It doesn't involve uninstalling Firefox.
Phosgene
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications