Problems installing the Steam client

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Problems installing the Steam client

Postby robert3353 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Hello,
I just did a successful install of Linux Mint v15 64bit with the KDE desktop and also successfully installed the latest Nvidia drivers. I am an avid gamer and my systems are set up for dual boot and I normally game on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 but thought I would give the Steam Linux client a try. I have installed it twice along with Mint Linux twice as well after Steam broke the installation. I think what is broken is the Nvidia drivers and when I do a reboot it stops at the console window asking me for my login info. After logging in I log in as su and then type start x. It attempts to load the drivers etc but eventually comes back with an error saying that it has disconnected from the x server. I also noticed that after installing Steam, (it successfully installs and I am able to log in to my Steam account) the games menu item is missing and even if my system successfully booted to the desktop the only way to launch Steam would be to use the run command.

I mentioned that I installed Steam twice, the first time was using the package in the repository, I noticed that there were a long list of packages that would be removed, and a long list of packages that would be upgraded and I had to select yes to proceed with the install. The second time I tried installing Steam after doing a fresh install of Mint Linux I went directly to the Steam website and downloaded the latest installer thinking that perhaps there might be something wrong with the one in the repository but the same issues occur.

Has anyone running Mint Linux successfully installed Steam? If so do you have any ideas what my problems may be?

My system is a Dell Precision m6300 laptop with a Core 2 Duo 2.6GZ processor, 4GBs of DDR 2 ram, an Nvidia Quadro 3600m GPU.
Thanks for any assistance you may be able to offer
Robert
robert3353
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problems installing the Steam client

Postby YokaiGirl on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:27 pm

I have it - though I've not had any issues installing or running it on my Cinnamon desktop, and I got it from the repository. Have you tried using the recommended Nvidia drivers instead of the latest? The latest version seems to give me problems.
YokaiGirl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby robert3353 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 pm

YokaiGirl wrote:I have it - though I've not had any issues installing or running it on my Cinnamon desktop, and I got it from the repository. Have you tried using the recommended Nvidia drivers instead of the latest? The latest version seems to give me problems.

Where does it talk about the recommended drivers? On the Steam support site? I will see if I can figure out how to install a different driver version. Since this is based on Ubuntu you really cannot install Nvidia drivers manually. I have been working with Linux off and on for a number of years and the older style distros are much easier in my opinion to get these drivers installed. I would just make sure I had the correct kernel sources and then download the nvidia bash script installer. Pull up a terminal and type as root init 3 this would kill the x server and then run the nvidia bash script and it would compile the drivers for your system. I found this method over the years to be fool proof and it always worked but Ubuntu does some weird stuff. I am not really sure I am going to stick with Linux Mint because I much prefer a traditional root and user accounts. When I am doing system maintenance tasks that require root access to just log in as root, do everything that needs doing, adding drivers, users etc and then log back in as a regular user. This constantly having to type in your password as su is a pain every time you do a different task that requires root access. I like Mint generally except for this sort of thing.
Thanks for your help
Robert
robert3353
Level 1
Level 1

Postby YokaiGirl on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:56 pm

The drivers I mean are the ones recommended by Mint. :) There is a way - use the frontend for managing restricted drivers, in Cinnamon it's called "Driver Manager" but it might be named something else for you since you use KDE (maybe Additional Drivers? It's been a while since I last used KDE.), I'm not sure. But this should let you pick between all the Nvidia drivers currently in the repository, and it recommends version 310.

If you can't find it, try running jockey-kde in a terminal. I think that's what runs it.

You can still manually install (I don't see why you couldn't, as long as you had everything you needed), though that's up to you if you want to do so.
YokaiGirl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby robert3353 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:33 pm

YokaiGirl wrote:The drivers I mean are the ones recommended by Mint. :) There is a way - use the frontend for managing restricted drivers, in Cinnamon it's called "Driver Manager" but it might be named something else for you since you use KDE (maybe Additional Drivers? It's been a while since I last used KDE.), I'm not sure. But this should let you pick between all the Nvidia drivers currently in the repository, and it recommends version 310.

If you can't find it, try running jockey-kde in a terminal. I think that's what runs it.

You can still manually install (I don't see why you couldn't, as long as you had everything you needed), though that's up to you if you want to do so.

That is the driver version that was installed, something happens to the system during the steam install. I think that it breaks the Nvidia drivers somehow because when I reboot it tries to load them and then I get a message that the system was disconnecting from the x server. I also noticed that even before I rebooted the system that the games entry on the main KDE menu had disappeared, when I selected the Steam package from the package manager there was a steam icon in that games menu, I was not aware of it but it was just the Steam installer. Every other package that is in a repository when using a package manager when selected for install the package manager installs it. I am not certain what is going on all I know is installing Steam breaks my X system. The only thing I can think of is to try installing Steam before installing the Nvidia drivers.
Thanks for taking the time to help,
Robert
robert3353
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aldwin on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Robert,

I have just had exactly the same problem (down to the steam icon disappearing), even though I'm using an AMD graphics card (which suggests that it's maybe not a driver issue). I am using the same version of Mint though. Have you found a solution? I don't particularly want to reinstall the OS + software just to have it happen again.
aldwin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aldwin on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 am

For the sake of anyone else reading this who has the same problem, I reinstalled Mint and then installed steam before I installed the restriced drivers, and have not had any issues.
aldwin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications