Rhythumbox-No Sound

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Rhythumbox-No Sound

Post by Husse »

This is often caused by faulty settings
Check all settings for sound
Double click the volume button - check the settings and open File > Change device and check
Also check all settings in Rythmbox
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Just to verify:

Right-click on the speaker icon and choose Open the Volume Control. On the Playback tab, check to see if your slider buttons are pushed up near the top of the track. On the Switches tab, you may or may not need the headphones checked. I have one machine that needs a check, while another machine does not. You may have to do lots of trial and error fiddling in the Mixer and in Rhythmbox.

You may have to check your Pulse Audio settings, but I am kinda fuzzy in that area since it is relatively new. Good luck, and have fun!
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Ah, Sigma Tel audio... I have seen that mentioned in several locations. I did a quick check over at Ubuntu and saw quite a few posts including http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ight=sigma . It is just one of many. You may have to search through and try out a few different steps. This seems to be a well-known issue, so it is not anything wrong on your personal or Linux Mint's part. Good luck with your research and testing.
Last edited by rivenought on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sigma Tel
Yes when I saw that I felt that we are on no go lane :(
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I did see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 in the forum. It looks very interesting. It might shed some light on your sound issue.

I thought the ALSA packages installed themselves via Synaptic. Is that the way you did it?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Well, no, you should not be getting an Ubuntu desktop. If you have sound in Rhythmbox with an Ubuntu desktop, that might be OK, but if you are not, then that is not good at all. Do you have any sound at all from anything?

I was hoping that you had installed all of the necessary ALSA packages via Synaptic on your regular Mint install. I am unsure what is going on right now. As a last resort, you can do a clean install and start over. That takes well under an hour. I have done that a few times myself.

Perhaps someone who has more knowledge about sound - especially the Sigma Tel issue - will chime in and help. I have not had any sound issues before, but I can sympathize with your situation. I shall do some more reading and post back if I can find something useful. It may be a rough road with that sound card.

Have you tried a Live CD of another distro such as Mandriva? Mandriva One is pretty good. I have always had good luck with openSUSE KDE (4.3 GB DVD). If you can find a distro that Sigma Tel likes, that may be easier. Sometimes that happens. Good luck.

Return to “Software & Applications”