Linux Mint 15 does not start after installing VirtualBox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marc-DNA

Linux Mint 15 does not start after installing VirtualBox

Post by Marc-DNA »

Hello,

I have a problem with Linux Mint 15 MATE 64 Bit.
I installed it and it was running nicely, until I installed VirtualBox4.2.18 from the deb file (There is no problem when installing the older version that is available in the software center).
Everytime I install it, Linux Mint 15 does not start anymore to X, but goes straight to console mode.
I was wondering if somebody else has experienced this problem and knows any reason for it appearing?

It does not seem to be problem with X directly, as startx works fine, it just won't boot to it.

Thanks and kind regards!
Marc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Makoto

Re: Linux Mint 15 does not start after installing VirtualBox

Post by Makoto »

If there is a working version in the official software channels, why do you want to use a potentially incompatable version from the internet?
Installing vitualbox does affect kernel modules. You might want to stick to the more stable option.
Valk

Re: Linux Mint 15 does not start after installing VirtualBox

Post by Valk »

I have Virtualbox 4.2.12 running on Mint 15 Cinammon for a month or so.
I installed it from the Oracle site because it is the latest non-free version, (although free for home use).
It runs faultlessly so far.

Return to “Software & Applications”