trusted antivirus downloading sites?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

trusted antivirus downloading sites?

Postby carpenjaster on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:11 am

Which sites would everyone suggest downloading an antivirus prgm from? I know, linux no viruses, call me paranoid, I think its better safe than sorry. P.s. a site which downloads with an installer would be preffered. thank you.
carpenjaster
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: trusted antivirus downloading sites?

Postby atlef on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Open up synaptic and search for clamtk, it will install clamav which is a Linux virus scanner. To run it you need to do this: ALT-F2 and enter gksu clamtk, because it needs root privileges.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: trusted antivirus downloading sites?

Postby CavalierBob on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 pm

I did not know about Clamtk, that looks like a nice option, seems to have a clean GTK2 interface.

Some non-free as in freedom, but free as in beer options might be Avast Free for Linux:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast ... ition.html

OR

AVG Free for Linux:

http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afl

Both have .deb files available, so you can just download the files, right click on them, and install with the Gdebi installer. I checked the deb's for both apps and all dependencies are met, on my system. You may have to install some packages from the repo to install on your system (though I doubt it), but Gdebi will tell you which ones.

NOTE: I have not installed, nor used, either of these packages. I used Avast on my XP box and found it worked just fine for me.
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications