SKYPE and FLASH problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby jungar on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:17 pm

hey guys,

when im talking on SKYPE... i cant watch youtube videos... the clip loads, but doesnt run. why is that?

it works on windows .. but not here on linux

is there a bug or something that can be fixed?

thanks
User avatar
jungar
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:56 am

I think you are not the only one with this problem. Try the latest flash
you have to enable the Romeo repositories, best done by
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Remove the two ## in front of the Romeo line
Then start mintUpdate and refresh and you should get the flash - and the latest version of mintInstall
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19703
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby jungar on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:23 am

Husse wrote:I think you are not the only one with this problem. Try the latest flash
you have to enable the Romeo repositories, best done by
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Remove the two ## in front of the Romeo line
Then start mintUpdate and refresh and you should get the flash - and the latest version of mintInstall



Hii Husse,

is this what it should look like after i remove the ## from the Romeo lines?

## -----------------------
## LINUX MINT REPOSITORIES
## -----------------------

## +++ Linux Mint 5 Elyssa (stable) +++
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa main upstream import

## +++ Backports (not as stable) +++
## deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa backport

## +++ Community (not as stable) +++
## deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa community

+++ Romeo (unstable) +++
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa romeo

## +++ Source Repositories +++
## deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa main upstream import
## deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa community
## deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa backport
deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa romeo

## -------------------
## UBUNTU REPOSITORIES
## -------------------
User avatar
jungar
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby jungar on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:47 am

OK HUSSE... GOT IT :) i asked some guys in the IRC channel and made sure everything worked

i installed mintinstall 4.0 and a flash

thank you :)

i'll try to call and watch youtube and see what happens
User avatar
jungar
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby jungar on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:50 am

nope :(

still not working ..

when im talking on skype... i cant watch youtube

it loads but doesnt play.
User avatar
jungar
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby Nickpick on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:51 am

jungar wrote:
Husse wrote:I think you are not the only one with this problem. Try the latest flash
you have to enable the Romeo repositories, best done by
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Remove the two ## in front of the Romeo line
Then start mintUpdate and refresh and you should get the flash - and the latest version of mintInstall



Hii Husse,

is this what it should look like after i remove the ## from the Romeo lines?

## -----------------------
## LINUX MINT REPOSITORIES
## -----------------------

## +++ Linux Mint 5 Elyssa (stable) +++
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa main upstream import

## +++ Backports (not as stable) +++
## deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa backport

## +++ Community (not as stable) +++
## deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa community

## +++ Romeo (unstable) +++
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa romeo

## +++ Source Repositories +++
## deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa main upstream import
## deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa community
## deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa backport
deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com elyssa romeo

## -------------------
## UBUNTU REPOSITORIES
## -------------------


Missing part highlighted.

Either way, there seems to be a larger problem with Skype. I can call people when other programs are accessing the audio devices, e.g. Firefox, Movie Player, games. I guess there's no known workaround for the problem, Husse?
"Critical thinking isn't typically an attribute of human mind..." ~~ Richard Dawkins
Toshiba Satellite A100-691; ATI Mobility Radeon x1400; Intel Centrino CoreDuo T2250
ASUS Eee 1002HA
User avatar
Nickpick
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:25 pm
Location: Europe

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Don't know....
I'm beginning to see reports now first so it could be something new
Oh yes - this is important
## +++ Romeo (unstable) +++
If you don't comment that line anything using repositories will think it's a failing repository
For a while now mintUpdate has a fallback mechanism that lets it continue in such a case
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19703
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby jungar on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:27 pm

ok .. i guess i just have to wait

skype needs to fix this... i have a Logitech USB camera / mic

i use the mic to talk.. but unfortunately the camera isnt working, neither skype nor aMSN recognize it anymore.. although it USED to work.. i remember on Daryna, i used it a lot.. till all of a sudden it stopped working.

anyway... i did what you asked Husse.. and installed Mintinstall 4.0 and flash version i have now is: 10,0,0,525
User avatar
jungar
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: SKYPE and FLASH problems

Postby jungar on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:44 am

Husse wrote:Don't know....
I'm beginning to see reports now first so it could be something new
Oh yes - this is important
## +++ Romeo (unstable) +++
If you don't comment that line anything using repositories will think it's a failing repository
For a while now mintUpdate has a fallback mechanism that lets it continue in such a case


OK .. ive noticed something here...

1- since i changed removed the "##" from the Romeo... i got Flash Player version 10,0,0,525 installed from MintUpdate.

2- I cant play some videos, especially in the BBC site.. it tells me: Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

e.g http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7515088.stm

i WAS able to play these files before ... so whats the problem now? is it because i have a fairly new version on Flash Player? should i just wait it out, or will they take a LONG TIME before they realease the official 10.0 etc flash player.
User avatar
jungar
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests