[Solved, Kinda] Software Manager Refuses To Start

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[Solved, Kinda] Software Manager Refuses To Start

Postby JosephBeck on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 pm

I finally had Mint16 to where I wanted it and when I logged in this morning Indicator Stickynotes was broken and all grayed out. I went to go check software manager and the gui refuses to come up. I am using the Cinnamon edition, 32-bit. I have tried uninstalling "mintinstall" and reinstalling it and it has done nothing. It asks for my password and then just never opens.

Here is the output of running "mintinstall"
Code: Select all
xxxxx@xxxxx ~ $ mintinstall
add_categories took 85.369 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.557 ms
add_packages took 15338.349 ms
add_reviews took 3558.409 ms
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 1853, in <module>
    Application()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 53, in wrapper
    res = func(*arg)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 583, in __init__
    sans26  =  ImageFont.truetype ( self.FONT, 26 )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py", line 218, in truetype
    return FreeTypeFont(filename, size, index, encoding)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py", line 134, in __init__
    self.font = core.getfont(file, size, index, encoding)
IOError: cannot open resource

I also double checked the command for stickynotes using Synaptic and the output says there is no such thing yet synaptic says it is in fact still installed. As you see below I tried opening it right after and install. It also won't open when I click on it from the application list.

xxxxx@xxxxx ~ $ sudo apt-get install indicator-stickynotes
[sudo] password for xxxxx:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  indicator-stickynotes
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 48.8 kB of archives.
After this operation, 365 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/umang/indicator-stickynotes/ubuntu/ saucy/main indicator-stickynotes all 0.4.2-0~ppa2 [48.8 kB]
Fetched 48.8 kB in 0s (76.4 kB/s)         
Selecting previously unselected package indicator-stickynotes.
(Reading database ... 175482 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking indicator-stickynotes (from .../indicator-stickynotes_0.4.2-0~ppa2_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for mime-support ...
Setting up indicator-stickynotes (0.4.2-0~ppa2) ...
xxxxx@xxxxx ~ $ indicator-stickynotes
indicator-stickynotes: command not found

Just reinstalled it using synaptic and got the same. Reboot has not helped any of my problems. I really don't know what broke because all I did was add my custom fonts yesterday and it was working fine. Things like software updater open just fine as well as all my other main software. I really don't want to have to do a fresh install.
Last edited by JosephBeck on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JosephBeck
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LinuxMint 16 - Software Manager Refuses To Start

Postby karlchen on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:04 pm

<side issue>
Hello, JosephBack.

By the way the commandline that launches Stickynotes reads
/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/indicator-stickynotes/indicator-stickynotes.py
not "indicator-stickynotes".
In order to find it in the Mint Menu, open the menu, click in the application finder edit box and type "indicator stickynotes". This should find the appropriate programme launcher (icon).
HTH.

Cheers,
Karl
</side issue>
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby karlchen on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Hello, JosephBeck.

Hm, telling from this error message telling Software Manager (mintinstall) canot find the font which it is looking for
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 583, in __init__
sans26 = ImageFont.truetype ( self.FONT, 26 )
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py", line 218, in truetype
return FreeTypeFont(filename, size, index, encoding)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py", line 134, in __init__
self.font = core.getfont(file, size, index, encoding)
IOError: cannot open resource
I start wondering a bit whether adding your custom fonts may have done a bit more than just adding some fonts. Maybe it has either removed a font or two or replaced them with some fonts that Software Manager does not want to use?

Apart from this, which is just an idea based on the error message, whenever Software Manager refuses to launch, the output of
inxi -r
is usually a good starting point. - May or may not apply in your special case.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby JosephBeck on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:02 pm

karlchen wrote:<side issue>
Hello, JosephBack.

By the way the commandline that launches Stickynotes reads
/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/indicator-stickynotes/indicator-stickynotes.py
not "indicator-stickynotes".
In order to find it in the Mint Menu, open the menu, click in the application finder edit box and type "indicator stickynotes". This should find the appropriate programme launcher (icon).
HTH.

Cheers,
Karl
</side issue>

Using indicator-sticky notes will accomplish the same ends. I've used commands like that all the time in Ubuntu and many times in mint (since mint is based on Ubuntu it works much the same way). If I input the /opt/extras.ubuntu.com/indicator-stickynotes/indicator-stickynotes.py command (the command given in the launcher) it gives essentially the same error. It isn't that I can't find the icon, it is that the program will not work. It won't open when clicked. It stalls out just like mintinstall.

I am thinking that the adding of custom fonts is what could have thrown off the whole thing. I found a program called Font Manager that lets me disable fonts but retain them on the system which may solve the issue. I am going to go back and reinstall the default fonts but then disable them for use in LibreOffice/Gimp/Pinta etc. and see if that alters the problem.

inxi -r output:
xxxxx@xxxxx ~ $ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
           deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linrunner-tlp-saucy.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu saucy main
           deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu saucy main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/noobslab-themes-saucy.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/noobslab/themes/ubuntu saucy main
           deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/noobslab/themes/ubuntu saucy main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com petra main upstream import
           deb http://extra.linuxmint.com petra main
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu saucy main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu saucy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-security main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ saucy partner
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/umang-indicator-stickynotes-saucy.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/umang/indicator-stickynotes/ubuntu saucy main
           deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/umang/indicator-stickynotes/ubuntu saucy main
JosephBeck
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JosephBeck on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 am

This has become a critical problem so assistance would be lovely. I reinstalled the missing fonts and it literally went all to hell.

It now give me a terminal-based log in instead of the graphical one, and upon loging in I get the error "Windows error: unable to open x display" and then it continuously tries to start cinnamon until it eventually gets stuck trying to load. If I kill cinnamon it will give me the terminal to work with. I tried startx command and that just brings up a window saying "Failed to load cinnamon". Before it was just all boxes but apparently the font is working now. Not sure if it matters I accessed terminal from recovery mode or not. I'd love to know what monkey set this up to work this way because I have never had this problem in the past with any other OS. The fonts are there, theres no reason for it to be broken now.

Not only that but now if I try to install with a LiveUSB it just gives me the Syslinux copyright line. Out of desperation I even tried to install Windows XP back onto it as a temporary fix and the installation can't tell that I have a hard drive. Whatever going on is really messing it up and essentially has turned my laptop to worthless junk. I will probably open a new thread for this problem elsewhere but definitely annoyed. I've used linux os's for a few years now and this is my first major disappointment.
JosephBeck
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Hello, JosephBeck.

Sorry to learn things seem have to developped in a very unpleasant way.
So far the situation seemed to be that
+ fonts had been installed, maybe some fonts removed
+ Software Manager seemed to fail because it could not find some (hardcoded?) font.
All this might have been tricky to analyze and tricky to fix.
But there was not reason to assume the whole desktop environment might become unusable.

Your last post suggests that some software components, some basic configuration details, whatever may have been damaged beyond repair, maybe, maybe not. Honestly, the story you tell definitely leaves more open questions than it answers.

1. The problems booting from a LiveUSB may have all kind of reasons. But it is not really likely that they have been caused by the Mint 16 makers. If this were the case, then how have you ever managed to boot the Mint 16 live system before and setup the system which now may or may not be damaged beyond repair. Whatever may have ruined the Mint system on your harddisk, it cannot have ruined your LiveUSB system at the same time.
  2. An interesting detail is that the Windows XP setup cannot detect your harddisk. Is this really true? Does it not detect the harddisk? Or does it only not see any partition on the harddisk which it understands? Windows XP is unable to use an EXT4 formatted disk partition. But it would call it unknown. So it would see it, but call it unknown. Provided the Windows XP setup does not see any harddisk at all, then this might be a hint that your machine has been affected by some kind of hardware defect. Again such a defect cannot be blamed on the Mint 16 makers.
  3. The only damage that can turn your laptop into a worthless piece of junk is a serious hardware defect. No operating system, Windows XP or Mint, will have this effect, no matter how much the operating system may have been screwed up.
  4. The most irritating detail about this weird development from a minor nuisance to a major end of the world scenario is the details that have not been mentioned at all: no technical details about the affected machine have been spotted so far, although a simple "inxi -Fx" would have been a quick action and provided a concise overview on the hard- and software configuration.
OK, I guess this will be the end of this thread.
I do hope that you will manage to get your laptop back up and running and that it has not been affected by any kind of serious hardware defect, which is beyond repair, because repairing notebooks/laptop often is more expensive than buying a new machine.

Cheers,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby JosephBeck on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 am

Thankfully I did 4 passes of the shred command then eventually got one of my USB to take and was able to get everything back up and running. Font Manager is a blessing of a program to prevent this from happening again. The only downside of it is that it can't access Use/Share/Fonts so the Droid font family involving foreign languages can't be disabled. Other than that it works like a charm and I recommend it to anyone who has this same issue in the future. Don't just copy and paste fonts x-x.
JosephBeck
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved, Kinda] Software Manager Refuses To Start

Postby karlchen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:51 pm

Hello, JosephBeck.

Just to fill a knowledge gap on my side: The Font Manager that you used is the same font-manager which is available from the official software repositories, via Synaptic or via Software Manager, right?
So you solved the reported problem by fixing the list of installed fonts with the help of this font-manager only?

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [Solved, Kinda] Software Manager Refuses To Start

Postby barrieluv on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Just as an aside, but not off-topic:
I recently installed Mint 16 MATE on a friend's laptop.
She installed some fonts, insisting that she wanted the fonts to be the same as she had used previously on her Windows system. I left her to it.
Two days later, I get a call for help.
Synaptic, Software Manager, Update Manager, Mint Menu, Logout and Quit had all started playing up. None of them worked.
I did all the usual checks and tried several different things but no joy.
Found this thread, set the Application, Document and Desktop fonts to Ubuntu Regular and everything started playing nicely again.

So, thank you to everyone who chipped in here. It was driving me nuts! :D
[b]EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications