Re: mintinstall ... will earlier version "fix" it? <SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby cecilieaux on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:34 pm

SITUATION

Using Maya on a good machine. I am sick and tired of Software Manager, which (when it doesn't simply stall) has its install progress stop at 16% so that I have to close and reopen a window to see if the software installed (it usually does). The Ubuntu software utility worked fine (Unity brought me to Mint).

QUESTION

I found in Softpedia a mintInstall 7.1.6 (Maya's is 7.3.9). Could it help or might I muck up the works? I am a relative noob in Mint.

Thanks!
Last edited by cecilieaux on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cecilieaux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintinstall ... will earlier version "fix" it?

Postby xenopeek on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:18 pm

First; preferably don't install software from websites. Just like on Windows, that increases the risk of malware ending up on your system. The solution is not to install a worse version, but a better version...

mintinstall 7.5.2 is available in the Maya backports repository: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... a#backport. You could enable the backports repository, in Software Sources, but this will by default also upgrade Cinnamon and MATE to a newer version. If you don't want that, either download the package from the Linux Mint website and try to install that (it might need other packages to be upgraded to the backports version also though). Or, just enable the backports repository in Software Sources but then in Update Manager don't click to install updates but first clear the selection and then only select the mintinstall update for installation. After installing, disable the backports repository again.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby cecilieaux on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:43 am

xenopeek wrote:mintinstall 7.5.2 is available in the Maya backports repository: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... a#backport. You could enable the backports repository, in Software Sources, but this will by default also upgrade Cinnamon and MATE to a newer version. If you don't want that, either download the package from the Linux Mint website and try to install that (it might need other packages to be upgraded to the backports version also though). Or, just enable the backports repository in Software Sources but then in Update Manager don't click to install updates but first clear the selection and then only select the mintinstall update for installation. After installing, disable the backports repository again.

Thanks for your help! I have a few additional questions.

1. I'm assuming upgrading Cinnamon and MATE will get me off the LTS and I'll have to upgrade to Mint's bleeding edge every six months or so, right? Maybe when I get as familiar as I got with Ubuntu (until they "improved" it with Unity), but I'd rather not yet.

2. OK, in the Linux Mint website's software portal (which needs to be alphabetized or have a seach function), found the .deb for 7.5.2. Is this what your mean? By "it might need other packages to be upgraded" would that mean being forced to move to another version?

3. The third option seems attractive but tricky. By enabling the backports repository, you mean like in the sources window in Synaptic, right?

Sorry to be such a doorknob and nervous nellie.

Cecilieaux
cecilieaux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 am

1. No, this doesn't get you off the LTS--you'll be running the LTS but with newer Cinnamon or MATE version. That's what backports is for :wink: But that is a side-effect you might not want if you just want the newer minstinstall version. Upgrading Cinnamon or MATE on the LTS can potentially give issues (there have been a few here on the forums; but of course on the forums we only read from everybody for whom something went wrong and not from everybody else for whom it worked without problems).

2. If you download it from the website yourself, and try to install it, it might complain that it needs a newer version of some other package also. If you use the backports trick (clear all in Update Manager and only mark to upgrade mintinstall), the Update Manager will try and handle that for you automatically--by also marking any other packages that need to be upgraded. It's safe to first try the manual download though.

3. I think so yes, but I don't have Linux Mint 13 here any longer so forgot how you can find it in your menu. In Linux Mint 14 you just have 'Software Sources" as an application in your menu.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby cecilieaux on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 am

Well, I downloaded http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .2_all.deb and it installed without complaints about dependencies. Now I have MintInstall 7.5.2. I tested it by installing gnome-games and it worked as expected. The progress bar did not stop at 16% and the software installation was immediately noted, without having to go out and go back in.
cecilieaux
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications