Firefox and Midori problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox and Midori problems

Postby beacon on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 pm

I am using the latest version of Linux Mint on an ASUS eee seashell pc, Firefox has become inordinately slow, taking at least 30 seconds to load, compared to 2 seconds on another computer. I have had a message about the speed and carried out the instructions that were given, but there was no improvement. That is the problem with Firefox.

I have tried to install Midori, both independently and from the software and package managers, but when I try to open it, I always get the message: " can't be found
The page '' couldn't be loaded: Error opening file: No such file or directory:

At the same time Midori Private Browsing has appeared, but that is not, I believe, the Midori browser.

I finally gave up and tried to install others, such as sea monkey, SR Ware, SwiftFox and others. For different reasons nothing has worked. They appear to download but don't appear in the menu. Rather than give the various reasons, I should just appreciate help in what I need to do to get Midori to work.
beacon
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox and Midori problems

Postby computerbob on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:44 pm

When I get a slow internet connection I do:
Turn off PC, unplug router, unplug modem
Wait 1 min
Plug in modem
Wait 1 min
Plug in router
Wait 1 min
Turn on PC and hope it works.

I just saying, it doesn't always have to be a software issue.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xenopeek on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Which exact model Asus Eee PC do you have? Certain models have very poor storage performance, or have a very poor SSDs that might have started its end of life journey with rapidly degrading performance and sector death.

As for the error you are getting with Midori, that seems to be the default homepage--it's set for some reason to a non-existent file. Click the little down arrow icon in the top right of the Midori window to get to the controls and in Preferences you change the homepage. I've found no way that works to enable an address bar, and the FAQ doesn't answer this either. How are you supposed to enter the website you want to go to? The FAQ only has an example of using the command line to tell Midori to open a specific website.They must be trolling their users that this is the only way to open a website, right? :lol: :evil: I guess you could set the homepage to Google, so you can search for the website you want to visit :?

Maybe you can get it to work right, but at least the error you are getting is just the homepage being a non-existent homepage.

As for Firefox being slow to start, do you have any extensions? You might want to compare how Firefox starts if you run from Alt+F2 run dialog or from the terminal this command to start Firefox (first close all open Firefox windows!):
Code: Select all
firefox -safe-mode

This starts Firefox without any extensions you have added, so you can determine if Firefox is slow or if one of your extensions is being crappy.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby beacon on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 am

Thanks to both respondents. Firefox, as I said, operates quite well on another machine connected to the same router and modem (Livebox in France), but nonetheless I followed your suggestions, Computerbob, and there was no change.

I am really grateful to you, xenopeek, for the thorough and helpful comments. As for your first question, it is a good one, as I have never been able to discover the exact model of my ASUS. It is a year old and the only information on the case is EEE pc Seashell series. It is ubuntu certified, although I replaced it with Linux Mint, and there is a sticker that there is an intel atom inside. It is a bit annoying that I can't find a model or serial number,

Second, your suggestion about changing the home page worked a charm. At least I can now get Midori, although I am not yet certain whether it can be adapted to be really useful, for the reasons you point out in your note.

Third, when I type in the code you gave for safe mode, I get only the following: (process:3989): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

One other point. Both thunderbird and firefox, both of which I have used for yonks, haver slowed considerably. I installed Claws which works much faster, and now Midori comes up quickly too. I wonder if it is something to do with Mozilla.

Many thanks once again.
beacon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Well, that should have worked. I'm not sure what that error from Firefox means. An alternative you can do as a test, is to close all Firefox and Thunderbird windows and then open your file manager. Press Ctrl+H to display hidden files, or select to do so from your file manager's menu. See the .mozilla folder in your home folder? Rename it to something else, for example .mozillaOLD. After that try starting Firefox again. If it is fast now, the slowdown was caused by one of your extensions most likely. Close Firefox again and open your file manager again and delete the new .mozilla folder that was created by Firefox. Rename the .mozillaOLD back to .mozilla.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby beacon on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 am

Thanks for the instructions that were clear enough even for me. That seemed to do the trick, and I shall now go through and see which extention may be the cause of the problem.

Thanks again.
beacon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby beacon on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:21 am

Zenopeek, I wonder if I can trouble you again for your advice. I have only five add-ons in Firefox, and I have closed each separately, and there is no difference: Firefox still takes a long time to load. Thunderbird is almost as slow.

I finally got Midori and found that is is equally slow. However, Claws is fast, as is Netsurf as a browser. The problem with those two is that there is little help available, and I have run into problems that I can't resolve on my own.

Should I just keep on with a trickly Firefox, or might there be some alternative?

I shall appreciate any comment.
beacon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 am

beacon wrote: Firefox has become inordinately slow, taking at least 30 seconds to load, compared to 2 seconds on another computer.

You write that Firefox has become slow, and then you give how fast is on another computer. That's not really relevant. Was it actually ever loading in 2 seconds on this computer?

beacon wrote:Thanks for the instructions that were clear enough even for me. That seemed to do the trick, and I shall now go through and see which extention may be the cause of the problem.

Where you write "That seemd to do the trick", do you mean Firefox was in fact loading very fast again with the .mozilla folder temporarily renamed?

If Firefox was fast with the .mozilla folder temporarily renamed, but you can't get a handle on that after restoring the folder and then manually disabling extensions, I suggest you permanently remove the .mozilla folder. First you will want to make a backup of your bookmarks and any stored passwords and such things. You don't need to actually remove the .mozilla folder, but rename it to something else while Firefox is closed and then start Firefox again. You start with a fresh Firefox and can then import bookmarks and such back into it. If Firefox slows down again the next time you start it, definitely something you added to Firefox is causing it.

If Firefox wasn't actually every very fast, perhaps accept that your hardware isn't cutting it. It's a netbook after all. We don't nothing about your hardware but if you want a view on that, open the terminal application and type this command to gather basic information about your hardware specifications. Ss=hare its output here (see terminal's Edit menu for copying text).
inxi -Fz

BTW, if you enjoy Netsurf there's nothing wrong with using that. uzbl is another lightweight browser (though supports Flash and Java plugins). dillo is another one though last I checked it didn't support JavaScript.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby beacon on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:50 am

I really am most grateful for your help. You have given me much more than I expected, I'll make just a couple of comments,

You write that Firefox has become slow, and then you give how fast is on another computer. That's not really relevant. Was it actually ever loading in 2 seconds on this computer?

I wrote that simply to indicate that Firefox going through the same equipment operated well on another computer, as I thought that might be relevant in that it wasn't the software itself. Actually, Firefox worked well on this computer for some time, then began to slow perceptibly. I even had a message that firefox seemed to be slow and I might want to re-set it. I followed the instructions to do that on two separate occasions, but it made no difference.

Where you write "That seemd to do the trick", do you mean Firefox was in fact loading very fast again with the .mozilla folder temporarily renamed?

Yes, Firefox was much more responsive with the new folder. I shall later today do what you suggest, and that might provide further information.

BTW, if you enjoy Netsurf there's nothing wrong with using that. uzbl is another lightweight browser (though supports Flash and Java plugins). dillo is another one though last I checked it didn't support JavaScript.

I do find Netsurf very quick and responsive, but I can't seem to set up my preferences in it, and there seems to be no on-line help. Strangely, just for your information, I have tried to get uzbi, both through software installer and package manager, and though they say it has been installed, I am unable to find it. I tried to download directly from the website, and that too failed. I'm not certain what is wrong. I did manage to get dillo and will give it a try.

I am very appreciative.

Beacon
beacon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

Ah. uzbl doesn't install a launcher in your menu :) If you have it installed, you can just press Alt+F2 to open the run dialog and type the command:
uzbl

Depending on your Linux Mint version and desktop environment you can also usually add an entry to the menu quite easily. Try right-click your menu button and see if you have an option to edit your menu. At least on Cinnamon, KDE and MATE from Linux Mint 13 onwards you have this option. The command to put in the launcher is:
/usr/bin/uzbl

uzbl does a lot of things with keyboard shortcuts I see (I forgot that). So when you open it first click on the "keybinding cheat sheet" on default homepage you get shown. For example, to open a different web page you press the o key (letter o), then type the address of the web page (bottom left of the window) and press enter to go there.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby beacon on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:18 am

I have run out of ways to thank you Zenopeek, except perhaps dank u wel,

Perhaps I should begin a new thread, but I'd like to raise what is a related matter. The basis of my query is that both Thunderbird and Firefox have slowed until it has become more than an irritation. (I realise that waiting 30 seconds should not be considered a catastrophe, but why can other clients do it so much faster?)

The problem is that with the others that I have tried little help is available on-line. Setting up is not as easy and intuitive as claimed. For example, I have tried over and over to get Netsurf to open with a blank start-page, and it doesn't happen. In Claws mail I want it to go directly to the in-box when I open, and I have checked the respective boxes, to no avail, and I am continually asked for my isp password, although it is given in the startup information. There seems to be no one to ask.

By the way, the same thing happens on this forum. I ask for my password to be remembered and to be logged in automatically, but I have to log in each time.

There is a question in here. Is there some method of getting help for these lesser-used application?
beacon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:26 am

Yes, see their respective websites. Except for Midori all have a user manual online, have a mailing list for users, and have an IRC channel (chat room to talk about these programs in real time). Midori only has an IRC channel, at least that I could find.

Claws Mail: User Manual, Mailing list & IRC

Midori: IRC

NetSurf: User Manual, Mailing list & IRC

Most programs have a similar project website, sometimes even with their own support forum.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby beacon on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks once again. I appreciate the references, but I have looked at them and found them fairly unhelpful for my needs. Just for information, I have downloaded at least a dozen browsers that are supposed to work on Linux Mint. I placed most hope on Midori which is said to be light-weight and fast, but turns out to be slower than Firefox. I have had trouble with, or found too many faults with the others, including Opera. I wonder if anyone knows something about Superbird, which looks promising but is proving impossible to find,

To go off-topic, how is it that it seems impossible to download some software except through a third party that requires credit car information, even though there is a promise not to use it. I refuse to give out that kind of information to anyone.
beacon
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications