Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby Rikka on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 am

Hi!

i'm not overly experienced with linux but have done a bit.

i'm really confused about trying to install Gedit-Plugins while running Linux Mint 16 (petra).

trying to install it via Mint's native software manager doesn't allow me to click the program within the manager, synaptic and terminal both give me this:

Code: Select all
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.


now, i naturally assumed this mean i had a broken package- i don't according to synaptic.

regardless i ran:

Code: Select all
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
$ sudo apt-get -f install


Are the plugins just not compatible?

as per another similar question about held broken packages, heres my output for a few commands:

Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gedit-plugins : Depends: gedit (>= 3.8) but 2.30.5+petra is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.


Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy gedit-plugins
gedit-plugins:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.8.3-2ubuntu1
  Version table:
     3.8.3-2ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/universe i386 Packages




thank you so much!

~Rikka
Rikka
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby jungle_boy on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 am

I think that there is something unstable in LM16; here I ran "sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins", and installed fine gedit-plugins (I am running Lm14, Cinnamon).
LM16 Cinnamon (PC); LM14 Cinnamon with AMD Catalyst (notebook)
HP Pavilion g4-1316br, AMD Quad Core, 1,5 GHz, Radeon 6520G/7450M,
Image
Linuxcounter Registered User #506065 (2008)
User avatar
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 pm
Location: Amazon Rain Forest, Brazil

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby Monsta on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:50 am

Rikka wrote:
Code: Select all
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gedit-plugins : Depends: gedit (>= 3.8) but 2.30.5+petra is to be installed

What an unfortunate series of events.

  1. Starting from Mint 14, Mint provides its own gedit package in addition to Ubuntu's one. It's an old version (2.30.x) while Ubuntu repos contain 3.x. Mint's repository has priority over Ubuntu's, so by default you get the older version.
  2. Starting from Ubuntu 13.10 (on which Mint 16 is based), gedit-plugins depends on "gedit (>= 3.8)" instead of just "gedit" like it was before. That means you can't just install them when you have the old version of gedit (2.30.x) installed.

What can be done?

  1. Install the new gedit (3.x) from Ubuntu repos, then install gedit-plugins.

    or

  2. Try installing gedit-plugins from the previous Ubuntu versions (look here for possible variants).
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby Rikka on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 am

Monsta wrote:
Rikka wrote:
Code: Select all
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gedit-plugins : Depends: gedit (>= 3.8) but 2.30.5+petra is to be installed

What an unfortunate series of events.

  1. Starting from Mint 14, Mint provides its own gedit package in addition to Ubuntu's one. It's an old version (2.30.x) while Ubuntu repos contain 3.x. Mint's repository has priority over Ubuntu's, so by default you get the older version.
  2. Starting from Ubuntu 13.10 (on which Mint 16 is based), gedit-plugins depends on "gedit (>= 3.8)" instead of just "gedit" like it was before. That means you can't just install them when you have the old version of gedit (2.30.x) installed.

What can be done?

  1. Install the new gedit (3.x) from Ubuntu repos, then install gedit-plugins.

    or

  2. Try installing gedit-plugins from the previous Ubuntu versions (look here for possible variants).


thank you so much, seriously, i would've never figured it out!
Rikka
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 am

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 am

You can install the gedit-plugins for the gedit version that ships with Linux Mint. First remove gedit-plugins if you managed to get it installed, then follow this to install and pin the older version: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=122158#p788466

Alternative is to remove the Linux Mint version of gedit and install the Ubuntu version. Commands specific for Linux Mint 16:
Code: Select all
apt purge gedit gedit-common
apt install gedit/saucy gedit-common/saucy

You can now use the gedit-plugins from the repository also. This is a newer gedit version, which users may experience as having reduced functionality and usability.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13679
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby Rikka on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:23 am

xenopeek wrote:You can install the gedit-plugins for the gedit version that ships with Linux Mint. First remove gedit-plugins if you managed to get it installed, then follow this to install and pin the older version: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p788466

Alternative is to remove the Linux Mint version of gedit and install the Ubuntu version. Commands specific for Linux Mint 16:
Code: Select all
apt purge gedit gedit-common
apt install gedit/saucy gedit-common/saucy

You can now use the gedit-plugins from the repository also. This is a newer gedit version, which users may experience as having reduced functionality and usability.



Darn, wish I'd seen this earlier!

I removed the Gedit that ships with mint and installed the Ubuntu version.

Would you say it's worth removing it and re-installing the mint version then installing the linked packages?

I'm not sure what the difference between versions is!

God that came out so fumbled basically- is it better to install the Ubuntu version or the plugins you linked?
Rikka
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 am

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 am

The plugins that I linked to are of course old, for the older version. Nothing new is being added to that. I don't know, but the newer version of the plugins might have more plugins or better ones.

If you don't experience the newer gedit version that you now have installed as being less functional or less usable, then just continue using it :wink:
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13679
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Postby Rikka on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:28 am

xenopeek wrote:The plugins that I linked to are of course old, for the older version. Nothing new is being added to that. I don't know, but the newer version of the plugins might have more plugins or better ones.

If you don't experience the newer gedit version that you now have installed as being less functional or less usable, then just continue using it :wink:



Great, thank you so much for your help!
Rikka
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ALF13 and 8 guests