No MDM avatar if home is encrypted

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No MDM avatar if home is encrypted

Postby CaptainMark on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm

A small concern but a concern none the less, that I have with MDM is that there is no user avatar displayed if you're using an encrypted home directory. Is there a way around this, I was hoping selecting a picture outside of /home would work but it doesn't
Regards
Mark
CaptainMark
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No MDM avatar if home is encrypted

Postby clfarron4 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I don't think there is a way around this because the user picture is located at /home/[user]/.face and that has to be de-crypted before you can use it.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CaptainMark on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:38 pm

I even tried the accountservive way from the arch wiki and that didnt work, I had high hopes for that because its all stored in /var but again nothing
Regards
Mark
CaptainMark
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clfarron4 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 pm

CaptainMark wrote:I even tried the accountservive way from the arch wiki and that didnt work, I had high hopes for that because its all stored in /var but again nothing

It won't if you're still linking it to /home/[user]/.face, since it still has to be de-crypted before you can use it.

How about placing your avatar in /usr/share/icons/[user]/avatar.jpg and then try it (replacing [user] with your username)?
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CaptainMark on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 am

Nope that doesn't work, nor does placing a .face photo in the home folder in its un-encrypted state
Regards
Mark
CaptainMark
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kg7fu on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 am

There is a Debian patch for this with gdm here:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/31550672/1

Does this mean it possible to corral MDM to find the non-encrypted image file? I'd apply the patch if I knew the corresponding file. This appears to be for gdm simple-greeter.

fu
You kill what you fear and
You fear what you don't understand
kg7fu
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications