Installing new software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing new software

Postby Sigord on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 am

I must admit with my limited knowledge of any Linux I tend to click on a file such as a Windows EXE and then let MInt try to find suitable software such a Wine online. But I came unstuck when it presented me with a long list of various versions of Wine along with other software relating to Wine I had no idea of which to install.

But I see I could try a Package or software manger to install software. For example what would b the safest way to install say the Linux versions of say Skype and Filezilla ?
Sigord
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing new software

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:46 am

The safest and easiest way to install software on Linux Mint is by using the Software Manager. Find that application in your menu. Filezilla and Skype will likely be in the Featured category in the Software Manager. Else you can use the search box in the top right of the Software Manager window to search for these applications. Double-click the application you want to install from the list, then click the Install button in the top right.

For more thorough introduction, see my topic How to install software on Linux Mint.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Sigord on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:36 am

Thanks very much, I have been very wary of installing any Linux software after ruining Ubunto trying to update Wine. Which I why I replaced Ubuntu with Mint finding it a lot faster as I only have 1 Gb of RAM on that older PC. As the Club Secretary and Editor I am advising all our members in http://www.herc-hastings.org.uk/ to consider installing Mint when Windows XP is no longer supported by MS after next April, rather trying to use Windows 7 or 8 especially on an old PC.

But another problem I have is if I do succeed in installing software on Mint, such as Skype, Filezilla and perhaps Freebasic is where to find them to activate them afterwards?
Sigord
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:03 am

Those kinds of programs will add a launcher in your menu. It may take a few seconds after installation for the menu to update. For most programs you can probably guess what category they will be found under in your menu. Else open your menu and just start typing the name of the program to search for it in your menu.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Sigord on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:31 am

A few more points please. What is the difference between using the Software Manager and the Package Manager?

I assume Wine is not already installed on Ver 13 or the new ver 16. If I use either to search for Wine it displays several versions including qb4wine, wine, winegecko, winefish, and winetricks. Which do I install for the latest available?
Sigord
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:19 am

Linux Mint uses the Debian package management system called APT. There are various front-ends for APT. Software Manager, Package Manager, Update Manager, and others are all just front-ends for APT. So what you install in one is visible in the others, as they all use APT. Software Manager then is the friendliest way to find and install new programs. Programs are easily browsed in categories, there are featured programs, and programs have screenshots, ratings and reviews from other users of Software Manager. Package Manager is lacking all that but on the other hand has various tools and ways for you to repair problems. It's more suitable for advanced users, though there's nothing wrong with using it instead of Software Manager.

As for Wine, just install the package called wine. You may also need winetricks to do "tricks" to get certain Windows programs working. I'm assuming you're familiar with Wine's AppDB where you can search for a Windows program you are having problems with and see if there are reviews or tips from other Wine users to get the program to work. You'll often see tips using winetricks.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications