Software idea needed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Software idea needed

Postby anthony2010 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi all.
My young son is moving 700 miles away and we want to keep in touch with a webcam and voice / text application similar to msn.

Im not really familiar with all the applications available and want to ask for some suggestions as to what we should each install on our computers. He is only 9 and although a bright lad, Id prefer something fairly intuitive to use. Ive started him off with Mint 5 on an old dell inspiron 4150.

Any ideas all?

Anthony.
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software idea needed

Postby Andreyevich on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:26 am

Anthony, the most well-regarded instant messenger for Linux is probably Pidgin, however this does not have webcam support. Nonetheless, there are several successful clients out there that will filful your requirements.

Here are a couple of IMs that offer webcam support (in no particular order):

aMsn
Kopete

Emesene offers webcam support in their developmental version, and KMess is planning on developing this feature. At the end of the day, it really boils down to your son's preference - the actual abilities of all these clients is comparable, so personal preference is really the deciding factor.

**Please be sure to download these applications from the Software Portal, to ensure that they are appropriate versions**

It's good to hear of such a young user of Linux :P
Andreyevich
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anthony2010 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Hey Andreyevich

Thanks for your post. Ive only today had the chance to see my son since he moved. We have looked at he recommendations and are going to try aMsn. It looks like the right thing for us.

and yes! It is encouraging to have a young fella in the linux world. Of course his interest is the games we have. He even got me started with openarena!

Thanks for your good advice Andreyovich.

Ant.
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Death Dream on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Add Skype to your list. It is very good app. I haven't had much time to work on it with Linux but loved it in Windows. It was by far the best voice quality app I used for chatting.

QuteCom is a well known one too - formorly known as Wengophone, never used it though. http://www.qutecom.org/

Ekiga is known pretty well too. I know it comes with Ubuntu by default.

~Death Dream~
Death Dream
Level 3
Level 3

Postby anthony2010 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:12 am

Hey Death.

Thanks for that post. its amazing whats out there. I'm grateful to all for the posts and links.

Ant.
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Death Dream on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:16 am

anthony2010 wrote:Hey Death.
Thanks for that post. its amazing whats out there. I'm grateful to all for the posts and links.
Ant.

I was actually looking around and found a program that lets me call phone numbers for free. It let me call only for 16mins and 40 seconds till it hung up, did that three times, than I had a 10min calll, and that was all the free time I got. I think it renews every 7 days though. Only works with Windows, although Ekiga can route this free programs and make free calls too, just haven't got it to work: google VoipBuster or VoipStunt if you want to try it, they both look the same but you get free time either way. I still think Skype is by far better, and to pay $3 a month for unlimited USA calling, I think that is great. PC-to-PC still free.

~Death Dream~
Death Dream
Level 3
Level 3

Postby anthony2010 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:02 am

Hiya Death Dream.

I will certainly look into that! I'm in the Uk so i'm not sure it will definitely work but well worth a go. Thanks so much!

ant.
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications