flash for firefox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

flash for firefox?

Postby Sayhar on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:11 am

I uninstalled flash somehow for firefox. I don't know how to get it back.

The packages that I downloaded through synaptic give me ghetto-flash. It runs super-slowly, all flash content is turned into ugly grey boxes until I click on it, and the sound won't work unless i exit every other audio-using application.

How do I fix this mistake please?
Sayhar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby Husse on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:03 am

Well merlwiz79 posted a nice instruction on this
One at a time do
apt remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport
apt install nspluginwrapper
apt install libflashsupport
apt install flashplugin-nonfree
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19703
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby anabelle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:04 pm

Have you noticed that the flashplugin-nonfree in the repos has been broken for a while?

If you uninstall flashplugin and try to install it again this is what you get:

Desempaquetando flashplugin-nonfree (de .../flashplugin-nonfree_10.0.b218-0ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
Configurando flashplugin-nonfree (10.0.b218-0ubuntu3) ...
Downloading...
--11:08:49-- http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs ... 508.tar.gz
=> `./flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.tar.gz'
Resolving download.macromedia.com... 72.246.35.191
Connecting to download.macromedia.com|72.246.35.191|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
11:08:51 ERROR 404: Not Found.

download failed
The Flash plugin is NOT installed.



No wonder it doesn't work since download.macromedia.com gives 404 errors on every page! the server has been down for over a month now, and I'm starting to think it will never come back up.

this is really important to fix!
User avatar
anabelle
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:22 pm

Funny as I got it to work on a fresh install on ubuntu and linux mint.
I use all the normal repositories too, so this is very strange
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby anabelle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:42 pm

It's not so strange because flashplugin-nonfree is included in the installation CD, so it doesn't use the installer in the repos. but if you uninstall it for some reason, then you can't install it again.
User avatar
anabelle
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:00 am

anabelle wrote:It's not so strange because flashplugin-nonfree is included in the installation CD, so it doesn't use the installer in the repos. but if you uninstall it for some reason, then you can't install it again.

Unless you know where to look I guess, like getting it via medibuntu or something
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby bdunlap on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Sunny Rabbiera wrote:
anabelle wrote:It's not so strange because flashplugin-nonfree is included in the installation CD, so it doesn't use the installer in the repos. but if you uninstall it for some reason, then you can't install it again.

Unless you know where to look I guess, like getting it via medibuntu or something


I just uninstalled flash to see if i could reinstall it. Yes I can.

All I did was go to the flash download on adobe.com, download the tgz, unpack it and use the terminal to run ./flashplayer-installer (in that directory) and it asks if ~/.mozilla is the correct directory to install, Yes, perform other installation, No. You're done.

Good luck, all!
bdunlap
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 pm
Location: Grove City, OH

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby anabelle on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Sure I got it running that way too, I'm just reporting its broken in the repos and should be fixed.

APT-GET IT OR FORGET IT
User avatar
anabelle
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby uskomaton on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:31 am

bdunlap wrote:I just uninstalled flash to see if i could reinstall it. Yes I can.

All I did was go to the flash download on adobe.com, download the tgz, unpack it and use the terminal to run ./flashplayer-installer (in that directory) and it asks if ~/.mozilla is the correct directory to install, Yes, perform other installation, No. You're done.

Good luck, all!



Thanks mate, that worked perfect, was kinda losing my mind for a moment :D
uskomaton
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 am

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby ironray on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:48 am

bdunlap wrote:
Sunny Rabbiera wrote:
anabelle wrote:It's not so strange because flashplugin-nonfree is included in the installation CD, so it doesn't use the installer in the repos. but if you uninstall it for some reason, then you can't install it again.

Unless you know where to look I guess, like getting it via medibuntu or something


I just uninstalled flash to see if i could reinstall it. Yes I can.

All I did was go to the flash download on adobe.com, download the tgz, unpack it and use the terminal to run ./flashplayer-installer (in that directory) and it asks if ~/.mozilla is the correct directory to install, Yes, perform other installation, No. You're done.

Good luck, all!


When you say "(in that directory)" where do you mean? I have the file on my desktop and cannot get it to install.
ironray
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 am

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby ironray on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 am

bdunlap wrote:
Sunny Rabbiera wrote:
anabelle wrote:It's not so strange because flashplugin-nonfree is included in the installation CD, so it doesn't use the installer in the repos. but if you uninstall it for some reason, then you can't install it again.

Unless you know where to look I guess, like getting it via medibuntu or something


I just uninstalled flash to see if i could reinstall it. Yes I can.

All I did was go to the flash download on adobe.com, download the tgz, unpack it and use the terminal to run ./flashplayer-installer (in that directory) and it asks if ~/.mozilla is the correct directory to install, Yes, perform other installation, No. You're done.

Good luck, all!



----------- Install Action Summary -----------

Adobe Flash Player 10 will be installed in the following directory:

Mozilla installation directory = /home/ray/.mozilla

Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q):

Please enter 'y', 'n', or 'q'.
Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q): y

NOTE: Please ask your administrator to remove the xpti.dat from the
components directory of the Mozilla or Netscape browser.


Installation complete.
____________

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Why doesn't it ask me about Mozilla?
ironray
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 am

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby uskomaton on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:11 pm

ironray wrote:----------- Install Action Summary -----------

Adobe Flash Player 10 will be installed in the following directory:

Mozilla installation directory = /home/ray/.mozilla

Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q):

Please enter 'y', 'n', or 'q'.
Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q): y

NOTE: Please ask your administrator to remove the xpti.dat from the
components directory of the Mozilla or Netscape browser.


Installation complete.
____________

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Why doesn't it ask me about Mozilla?



Seems odd, might have something to do with it being version 10, I installed 9 and had
no problems. Did you remove the old version first?
uskomaton
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 am

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby Sayhar on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:10 am

well I tried those instructions. flash works much faster now, but sound doesn't work. At least not for youtube...
Sayhar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: flash for firefox?

Postby mr_volvo on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:21 am

Just wanted to let it be known that after a fresh install of Elyssa (and installing all updates) I had to install flash via the tar.gz. I now have audio and video at all flash sites (incl. youtube).
mr_volvo
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:14 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 28 guests