Suggestion for photo re-size and conversion utility

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Suggestion for photo re-size and conversion utility

Postby triwave on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Hello,

I have amassed quite a collection of digital photos - ranging in size/quality from simple snapshots, to 40MB RAW and TIFF files. I'm looking to give a digital photo frame as a present pre-loaded with a bunch of photos. The resolution of the frame is 800x600 so I'd like to fill a directory with the photos I desire (some much larger than the 800x600 resolution) and run a batch tool of sorts to convert them all to JPEG in the desired size.

I tried searching the web and found many windows utilities (which I refuse to use!) but never saw a good linux alternative.

I'm sure one exists, if you have a suggestion I'm all ears :) (Command line utilities are fine too)

So let's hear from the photography experts or web masters out there - how do you convert a bunch of high res photos to a common size for web galleries, photo frames, etc.

Thanks!
triwave
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suggestion for photo re-size and conversion utility

Postby Husse on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Well I found there is a plugin for nautilus called nautilus-image-converter. According to what I read it does batch work and you find it in Synaptic
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby triwave on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:27 pm

I found a very powerful batch converter called phatch - it works great.

http://photobatch.stani.be/

If anybody else is looking it's worth a try. I got all my photos of various resolutions, sizes and formats all converted to a uniform sized jpeg for display on a digital photo fame. After a few tries of 2-3 photos I got my settings and let it rip on a couple GB of pictures. Fantastic - it was exactly what I was looking for!

Note, nothing is changed on your original files, you just get a new folder with the batch converted files...
triwave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lantesh on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:49 am

triwave wrote:I found a very powerful batch converter called phatch - it works great.

Thanks for the tip. I just installed it.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Software & Applications