Make context menu entry for wine application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Banana42

Make context menu entry for wine application

Post by Banana42 »

Well, I guess that's what the registry was made for.

I use the program Mp3Tag which works perfect with Wine 1.6. As in Windows OS, once the program is installed it adds an entry to
the right-click menu which opens a file or folder in Mp3Tag. In Mint 16, it is possible to do this with native applications like Audacity,
but when it comes to Wine, I have no clue.

I do a right-click on i.e. a flac file, then 'Open With'- 'Other Application'. Here I see that it's possible to make customized commands.
So what's the syntax for that? Open Wine application and load the highlighted file within?

Thanks for any replies :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Make context menu entry for wine application

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Banana42.

The main point of running Linux Mint is not installing as many genuine Windows programmes under Wine as possible.
Linux Mint is not MS Windows, just for free. It is a Linux operating system which brings along and makes available to you through its software repositories a ton of open-source applications. For almost each Windows application that you used in the past there will be at least one equivalent open-source product on Linux Mint. Please, search for "MP3tag" here: Linux equivalents of Windows programmes.
Running a Windows application on Linux Mint under Wine is always just the second best approach and a compromise. The Wine makers do their best to enhance and improve Wine, but Wine does not turn Linux Mint into Windows.

By the way the commandline that you are after might be the same that you would use on Windows as well, only with the prefix "wine " (Without the double quotes).

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”