[SOLVED] Cannot view Panoramio photos in Google Earth

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
H.Remedy

[SOLVED] Cannot view Panoramio photos in Google Earth

Post by H.Remedy »

Hi all. I cannot view Panoramio photos in Google Earth when I click on the little photo boxes on the map. I can see a big white window where the photo should be displayed, and I can see the photo's title is at the top of that window, but there is no photo. (I can, however, view other photo content like "360 Cities" and National Geographic).

For reference, it seems similar to the problem discussed here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=67354. But there are two main differences:
1. That user could see a placemark of some sort in the white window, and clicking on the placemark would open Firefox and display the photo. No placemark for me.
2. The solution to that problem was to delete a qt.conf file in a Google Earth directory. I don't think I have such a file (at least not related to Google Earth).

Still, there may be a broken or incorrect library somewhere....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
H.Remedy

Re: Cannot view Panoramio photos in Google Earth

Post by H.Remedy »

I found solutions to my problem. Apparently this issue is very widespread with version 7.1+ of Google Earth (and not just on Linux). It is related to some faulty internal libraries.

If you're running a 64-bit machine, you can use a solution posted by user "amirpli" over here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... C53F2sKaMJ. That may not work if you're running a 32-bit machine, so the alternative is to try using the older 6.0.2 version of Google Earth for Linux Mint from here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/impo ... ogleearth/. (Make sure to completely uninstall the existing version of G.E. first. The Mint Software Manager did not do a good job of this for me.) The old version might introduce some bugs (e.g. with font appearance), but at least the Panoramio photos will be working.

Google has been aware of the problem for quite some time and has promised to fix it, but nothing has been done yet.
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot view Panoramio photos in Google Earth

Post by DrM »

H.Remedy wrote:The old version might introduce some bugs (e.g. with font appearance), but at least the Panoramio photos will be working.
Or with searching for a place in an older version of Google Earth, which will give an invalid HTTP request.

Can be solved by removing the /opt/google/earth/free/libcurl.so.4 file.
H.Remedy

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot view Panoramio photos in Google Earth

Post by H.Remedy »

Thanks for posting that comment. :P I noticed that problem recently as well.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot view Panoramio photos in Google Earth

Post by momist »

I can confirm that the above solution from bkjaya1952 Jayasundera works very well on a newly installed Linux Mint 17 with the 64-bit google-earth-stable.
Thanks Jayasundera.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.

Return to “Software & Applications”