google browser

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

google browser

Postby jungar on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:07 pm

well .. just thought Husse and Clem would find this interesting and worth a read... maybe even installed in mint 6. the browser war just got uglier. hooray for us :)

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... owser.html

http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/index.html
jungar
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: google browser

Postby jungar on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:14 pm

Google launches internet browser

By Richard Waters in San Francisco

Published: September 1 2008 23:33 | Last updated: September 1 2008 23:34

Google is to release its own internet browser in what amounts to its most direct attack yet on Microsoft’s dominance of PC software.

The launch of the browser, known as Google Chrome, will pit the internet company against Microsoft’s dominant Internet Explorer browser, which is used by an estimated three-quarters of all internet users. Google said a test version of the browser would be released in 100 countries on Tuesday.

The direct challenge echoes the so-called Browser Wars of the late-1990s, when Microsoft used its Windows operating system monopoly to win users for its own software and defeat the internet pioneer Netscape. That battle triggered a US anti-trust case against the software company.

When his company’s dominance of internet search first triggered rivalry with Microsoft, Eric Schmidt, Google’s chief executive, insisted that it did not need to create its own browser, dismissing that as “the last war”, which had already been lost by Netscape.

However, Google has become increasingly dependent on the state of browser technology as it has expanded its own range of internet-based applications, which rely on the PC software. At a recent conference, Google executives stressed the need for more advanced PC software to enhance the value of internet-based applications – a stance that highlights a growing convergence with the technology vision of Microsoft, which is also moving to a blend of internet and PC-based software.

The decision by Google to create its browser also reflects a persistent concern on the part of the internet company that Microsoft would find ways to use its dominance of the PC software to favour its own internet applications, or at least hamper those of rivals. In the latest example, Microsoft last week released a version of IE that makes it easier for users to block information about their browsing habits, a move that could hamper Google’s move into display advertising.

Microsoft’s near-monopoly of the browser market has been broken in recent years by Firefox, an open-source browser based on code developed by Netscape that has won nearly 20 per cent of the market. Google has maintained close ties with Mozilla, the organisation behind Netscape.

News of the browser leaked on Monday after a comic book by cartoonist Scott McCloud, commissioned by Google to explain the technicalities of the software, was uploaded on to the internet.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7c516e74-7875 ... fd18c.html
jungar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby foggytown on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 pm

jungar wrote:well .. just thought Husse and Clem would find this interesting and worth a read... maybe even installed in mint 6. the browser war just got uglier. hooray for us :)

That may be putting your cart before your horse. They will release a Windows only version tomorrow--more than likely an early beta. At some unspecified time in the future they claim they will bring it to Linux.

I have no doubt that google has the ingenuity to write a descent browser, but how long until it matches Firefox?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lakehousetech on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:48 pm

I'll stick with Firefox. Google's making enough money as it is.
Wherever you go, there you are... - Buckaroo Banzai
http://www.lakehousetech.com
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jungar on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:21 am

Google launches internet browser

Google's new web browser is called Chrome

Google is launching an open source web browser to compete with Internet Explorer and Firefox.

The browser is designed to be lightweight and fast, and to cope with the next generation of web applications that rely on graphics and multimedia.

Called Chrome, it will launch as a beta for Windows machines in 100 countries, with Mac and Linux versions to come.

"We realised... we needed to completely rethink the browser," said Google's Sundar Pichai in a blog post.

The new browser will help Google take advantage of developments it is pushing online in rich web applications that are challenging traditional desktop programs.

It's certainly the biggest news in the browser space since Firefox started to dent Internet Explorer's lead and many people see this as a re-ignition of the browser wars
Darren Waters

Google has a suite of web apps, such as Documents, Picasa and Maps which offer functionality that is beginning to replace offline software.

"What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build," Mr Pichai, VP Product Management, wrote.

The launch of a beta version of Chrome on Tuesday will be Google's latest assault on Microsoft's dominance of the PC business. The firm's Internet Explorer program dominates the browser landscape, with 80% of the market.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7593106.stm
jungar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jungar on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:24 am

jungar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:31 am

merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby badmotor on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:09 pm

Well, I've been enjoying the Windows version so far today - I wonder how long the Linux version will be...
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby clem on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Very promising browser and one of the most groundbreaking news in IT this year. I can't wait to see the impact this is going to have, and not only on the browser market...

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 pm

FiFtHeLeMeNt wrote:it is like 10 times faster compared to firefox in javascript engine , look at my tests :
chrome : http://dromaeo.com/?id=22198
firefox : http://dromaeo.com/?id=22226

I believe FireFox should change its javascript engine to V8.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=322

Doesn't connect to the net using wine. :?
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Sometimes performance shouldn't be the deciding factor.
Wherever you go, there you are... - Buckaroo Banzai
http://www.lakehousetech.com
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jungar on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 am

lakehousetech wrote:Sometimes performance shouldn't be the deciding factor.

thats a bold statement.

so what "should" ?
jungar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Acid_1 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:50 am

I think it should be a combination of performance and functuality, who wants a browser that does, say 3 things, but it does them in lightning speed, or one that does so much stuff that a circus chimpanze would have its work cut out for it? I'd rather have as much performance as they can squeeze out of it without sacrificing functuality. My 2-cents. 8)
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Stefan on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 am

Acid_1 wrote:I think it should be a combination of performance and functuality

I know English is not my first language, but to me it all depends on what you put in the word "performance". After all, a browser cannot perform well without functionality. And a browser that takes three times as long to load a page as IE7 is not even close to being functional.
Stefan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Acid_1 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 am

Stefan wrote:I know English is not my first language, but to me it all depends on what you put in the word "performance". After all, a browser cannot perform well without functionality. And a browser that takes three times as long to load a page as IE7 is not even close to being functional.

Performance to me means speed, functuality means usage. I guess you could swap them though haha. However, I find that Firefox and Opera tend to hang a lot during usage so I have high hopes.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jungar on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:11 pm

minty chrome anyone? :mrgreen:

i cant wait to test it here once we get the linux version released... and i hope they have all the plug-ins sorted.

here's an interesting article by Larry Seltzer

Google's new browser, Chrome, has quite a few security-related features:

* Site blacklists to protect against malware and phishing

* A privacy mode (Incognito) to erase tracks of user activity.

* A thorough Clear Browsing Data dialog box.

But the really innovative feature in Chrome is the way Google has built the browser's rendering engine to run in a sandbox. Each browser tab is an isolated process running with limited capabilities. This means that if a malicious application were to run, it could not crash, interfere with or impede the others running in other tabs. It also means that the app cannot do things, like write to the file system, that could make the malicious app persistent.

It's a laudable goal, but unfortunately there are already demonstrable holes in the sandbox. Chrome, for example, has already been demonstrated to be vulnerable to the Apple Safari "Carpet Bombing" vulnerability. The new version of the attack drops files in the Chrome download folder; the user would have to be persuaded to run them via a social engineering attack. This may or may not be practical, but the sandbox did fail.

Why did it fail? Because Chrome is built on open source code from other platforms, including Apple's WebKit. Google specifically used a version of WebKit prior to the fix for the Carpet Bombing bug. Par for the course with some open source projects.
jungar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Looks like the next Firefox release isn't going to be bad at all.
http://lifehacker.com/5044668/beta-brow ... is-fastest
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:27 pm

I have it running on wine.
It's a little slow, but does work without https:// though.
Here is a how to:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=45

about:memory
about:stats
about:network
about:internets
about:histograms
about:dns
about:cache
about:plugins
about:version
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:20 am

I wouldn't expect too much from it this early in the game, but Google has the resources to make it fly if they want to.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby clem on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 pm

You got me excited there, I thought that was a tutorial to compile it for Linux... I stopped at "First get WINE" :)
My only hope: That Google actually come with portable code and Linux binaries.. not with something bundled with Wine underneath like they did before...

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Software & Applications