why do my registered sites want me to sign in every time

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

why do my registered sites want me to sign in every time

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I had this problem before and it was solved but i can't find the posting now so i'm asking again.
What do i do to have firefox know that I have been here before so i dont' have to reregister or sign in ?

Thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: why does my registered places want me to sign in every t

Post by gtsfer »

I'm not sure I get the question. If you don't want to have to log in to sites "keep me logged in" usually works. Personally I like to log out and log back in to sites when I'm ready. This is where letting FF "save passwords" come in. Settings for cookies etc make a difference too on whether a site "remembers you" or not. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985736
tbrownarcher2

Re: why does my registered places want me to sign in every t

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

gtsfer:
i dont' seem to explain myself as i could when younger?.

I like to remain logged in .

I like to remain logged in here and on facebook and other sites .....
Here if i get out of firefox .... turn the computer off and back on but just Xing out of firefox and come back this site and facebook and others i'm told to enter my user name and password.
That has not been the case before. I am pretty sure it's a firefox setting not the web site. The "keep me logged in" on the site makes no difference it still asks me to log in.

I need to know where the setting for that is in firefox .

Thanks,
Nate
tbrownarcher2

Re: why do my registered sites want me to sign in every time

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I think i fixed it ... so far anyhow .... it's simply "remember history" in my privacy settings.

Sorry ! didn't think it would be that simple.
Thanks for the help!

thanks,
Nate
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Welcome. :) Please edit your first post and add [SOLVED] in the subject. It might help someone else.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Think it probably has more to do with your "cookie" settings then the general "Save history" setting. If your cookies are set to be deleted on exit, then that causes the need for a new cookie each time you visit the site(s). (Cookies hold the login info.) Also, if cookies are set to "Allow for session", they will only be good for that session -- not further restarts of Firefox or the system.

You can set computer to dis-allow all cookies except for the ones that you want to allow. To do that, open Firefox, then: Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy -> under "History", choose "Use custom settings for history" -> untick "Accept cookies from sites" -> click "Exceptions" -> type in site name you want to make exception for (eg. amazon.com) -> click "Allow". That will "allow" cookie for that site to persist and be re-used -- should solve login problem. At same time, miscellaneous cookies from other sites will be dis-allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”