No USB Support in Virtualbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

No USB Support in Virtualbox

Post by Fornhamfred »

Having installed Virtualbox and with the help of the forum got it working, I could not understand why I could not capture the mouse. Then I realised that, unlike my virtualbox on XP which gives the option of USB and USB 2, there is no USB support on the Mint version and I am using a USB mouse.

Can anyone suggest how to configure this please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No USB Support in Virtualbox

Post by 67GTA »

If you installed the OSE version from the repos, it won't work with USB. You need the full version for USB support. If you installed the full version, just skip down to the USB section in the link. There are install instructions for the full version and a hack to get USB working here: http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04 ... heron.html There is a newer version on the virtualbox website. This article has a link to an outdated version.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No USB Support in Virtualbox

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks 67GTA

I thought that packages downloaded thro the software portal had been tested to see that they would just run on mint without having to resort to the terminal. With this application this is definitely not the case. As a relatively seasoned linux user this does not phase me but I am trying to get windows users to change and mintinstall is ( I thought ) a good example of how easy it is to install software. If software requires extra work then some mention should be made when previewing the package with links to postings showing how to do it.

I do not see the point in having virtualbox in the portal unless it is the full package as most machines now use usb for mouse connectivity and the problem is that the windows version does support usb.

Return to “Software & Applications”