Wine + 3D graphics = Fizzle

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Wine + 3D graphics = Fizzle

Postby Mi4 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:33 pm

I haven't been able to get anything 3D to run in wine... And I have trouble getting most 2D applications to run properly.

The problems I'm having are windows that are just black (though my pointer changed when going over it), instantly crashing when opening, not opening in the first place and occasional massive crashes that locks up my entire system.

I've mostly tried getting games running. I managed to get the introductory video to dislay at least something. Not something I could properly see what it was, but I could see something. Then it crashed.
I managed that with two diffrent games. But that's all.

Some 2D applications fix themselves if I turn off compiz but no effect on 3D apps.
I've had some (what I believe is) OpenGL issues up until now, but the other day I installed newer drivers for my graphics card directly from ATI's homepage (according to this guide) and it's fixed the vast majority of the issues.
(One interesting little tidbit is Dreamchess flickers the way most 3D Linux applications usually acted up for me before. Yet only when I run it in windowed mode. In fullscreen it's just fine!)

Um... Anyway. I really want to get Wine working so I can throw WinXP in the dumpster. (Never going back, never! T-T)

My graphics card has been a big thorn in the side, I guess. There are roughly equivalent Nvidia graphics cards I see everywhere for... Relatively cheap. So I've even been pondering getting rid of the one I have. It'd be good if I didn't have to, though.

I don't know where to even start sorting out this problem... Any and all help is appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6420
4GB RAM
MB: Gigabyte 965P-DQ6
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1950XTX

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa Main Edition R1
Wine v1.3 (I used 1.0 at first)
Mint 5 x64

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 4GB
VGA: nVidia 8600GT (512MB)
Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wine + 3D graphics = Fizzle

Postby 67GTA on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Wine isn't made to run intense 3D stuff. Not all games run with wine. Check here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&sTitle=Browse%20Applications&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true to see what games will run, and how well. Some games even need hacks to run properly.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Software & Applications