Volume control applet behaving erratically

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Volume control applet behaving erratically

Postby 1cewolf on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:37 pm

I used to use my motherboard's built-in sound chip and never had a problem with the volume applet. I could adjust the volume without any problem.

Since upgrading to my current Razer Barracuda AC-1, which is basically just a dolled-up CMI8788 reference card, I am unable to adjust the volume with any kind of consistency. When I try to increase the volume, it may or may not go up. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down. Sometimes, it goes to zero. When I open up the applet and look at the "Master" channel bars, trying to increase the volume when the bars are "locked" seems to split them up and send them in random directions. Strangely, I have no trouble adjusting the PCM bars.

I'm really not sure where to begin with this one...any ideas?
“Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.”
-Linus Torvalds
Keeping the side effect going since Summer 2007
1cewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Volume control applet behaving erratically

Postby 67GTA on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:09 pm

You might try here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=416380 The newest version of ALSA is supposed to have support for it also: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... =834&num=1 Intrepid/Mint 6 should have it working out of the box. You might try installing the latest version of ALSA. That will be the least messy.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 1cewolf on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 pm

I don't any problems with sound playback as long as the sound is adjusted to an appropriate level. My issue is that when I try to "lock" the bars of the "master" channel together in the volume applet and adjust everything at once, the bars split off and set themselves to (apparently) random levels). A good bit of the time, just clicking the "lock" is enough to trigger this behavior.
“Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.”
-Linus Torvalds
1cewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:03 pm

That could be attributed to the current drivers not fully supporting your card.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 1cewolf on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:37 pm

Oh.

Well, I think I'll just wait until Elyssa comes out then. Compiling the Alsa drivers back in Daryna just to get the sound working at all was an absolute nightmare which I'm not eager to repeat. It would certainly be nice if there was a Mint tool to handle it...I hate compiling things! :(

Thank you anyway for your time.
-Linus Torvalds
1cewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications