Compiz Fusion Wallpaper plugin and language support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Compiz Fusion Wallpaper plugin and language support

Postby delphine on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:55 am

First off I should probably state that I'm a really new Linux user and still climbing the considerable learning curve. I first installed Ubuntu about a week ago, then switched over to Elyssa yesterday after doing more research and becoming curious about it.

I really like Mint and would love to switch fully to it, but I have two big problems:

EDIT: Embarrassingly enough I solved the first of these problems shortly after I posted this! The problem was that I was using pictures in a mounted drive for my wallpaper, and I had the drive set to automount in /etc/fstab in Ubuntu but not in Mint - so it didn't mount at boot. Once I move the images to my /home Pictures folder everything works as it should. I'll try editing fstab to mount the drive at boot and see how that goes. The second problem persists though.

1. For the life of me I cannot get the Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 Wallpaper plugin to work on Mint. This seems like a trivial problem but having different wallpapers for each workspace is a big part of my workflow and I really miss it. I do have Nautilus's desktop drawing disabled in gconf-editor. What happens is when my computer boots, I only see the background colour that I set in the Wallpaper plugin and not my image, but strangely enough if I edit the list (add a new wallpaper, shift the wallpaper positions about, etc.) it usually works and my wallpapers reappear.

It works perfectly on my Ubuntu setup, and since Elyssa is based on Hardy I can't figure out why it shouldn't work exactly the same. I even went to the extent of completely reinstalling Mint and installing Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 first thing, just to test this out on a clean install. The issue persists. It is a pain to go edit my wallpaper list at every boot just to get my different wallpapers working, and I can work round this for the time being by only hibernating and not shutting down, but it's just a stopgap solution.

I have the bug described here, in the second comment, with my Language Support screen. I only rarely use complex character input so it's not as big an issue to me as the first, but when I do want to use it it's really annoying not to be able to. I noted a comment at the bottom of the page that said this issue was fixed in language-selector 0.3.7 (mine is 0.3.4), but I can't figure out how to upgrade to that since it's marked as an Intrepid Ibex package.

As above, it works on my Ubuntu with no problems. I wasn't sure where I should post these issues but decided to come here first for that reason - if it works in Ubuntu, but not in Mint, hopefully the problem is isolated to Mint and I can get some answers here.

Thank you for this great distro and any help is much appreciated! :)
delphine
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz Fusion Wallpaper plugin and language support

Postby LinuxForever on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:42 pm

This thread viewtopic.php?f=109&t=16888 has an easy way to make drives automount at bootup http://klikit.pbwiki.com/Mounting+or+Au ... Partitions

I don't use Compiz Fusion so I don't know how to help you with that. I don't know anything about using complex character input either. May be someone else can help you with those.
LinuxForever
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications