[Cinnamon crashes] can't find a fix [PLEASE HELP]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IanB

[Cinnamon crashes] can't find a fix [PLEASE HELP]

Post by IanB »

I have seen a few posts on this topic, but everything in those posts has not fixed my problem.

When I start Linux Mint, it boots up like normal. It shows the Mint icon like normal. However, after that it comes up with a black desktop with almost no controls and displays an error box. It says "Do you want to restart Cinnamon? Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode".

I have tryed every patch and fix I can find in other posts but can't find something that works. Some posts have said about a problem with the GPU. However, even though my laptop has an integrated GPU, it has been running fine for about a month. Since i can't get a new computer right now, I need to have this one working as soon as possible.

I am running Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon, Ubuntu version.

The only thing I did the day before this happend was to uninstall a program called "ImageMagik".

I would really like your help. Thanks!

Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [Cinnamon crashes] can't find a fix [PLEASE HELP]

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ian.

Sorry to read that your Cinnamon keeps on crashing.
Before we can advise how to solve the problem, you would like to learn a few details about your system.
Please, open a terminal window. Execute this command and post the complete screen output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
Next, you might like to inspect the file ~/.xsession-errors. It might hold hints as to why Cinnamon decides to drop to fallback mode.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
IanB

Post by IanB »

Here it is.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Thanks for the help!

Here is part 1 of the XSession errors file.
IanB

Post by IanB »

part 2
IanB

Post by IanB »

part 3
IanB

Post by IanB »

part 4
IanB

Post by IanB »

part 5
IanB

Post by IanB »

And last... part 6.

I am sorry i had to upload them seperatly.

Thanks for the help.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ian.

Thank you for providing the requested pieces of information.

For the future a note on the way how you provided them: creating PDF files and attaching them here was not the most efficient way, in particular splitting .xsession-errors into 6 parts was not the best way.
What to do in the future:
  • inxi -Fxz output:
    On Windows there is copy and paste, on Linux Mint, too.
    So inside the terminal window where you execute "inxi -Fxz" you simply mark the complete screen output with the mouse and click on Edit => Copy or press <Shift><Ctrl>c.
    Inside this forum editor you paste the clipboard content by pressing <Ctrl>v. And please enclose the screen output in [ code ] [ /code ] tags (toolbar right on top of the editor area).
  • .xsession-errors: Basically you could copy the whole file content of .xsession-errors in much the same way. E.g. "gedit ~/.xession-errors" (open the file in your editor). Ctrl-a (mark all), Ctrl-c (copy).
    Inside this forum editor you paste the clipboard content by pressing <Ctrl>v. And please enclose the screen output in [ code ] [ /code ] tags (toolbar right on top of the editor area).
    In case a text file is really too long to be copied this way, do not split the file. Instead zip the whole file and post the zip-file as an attachment here. Just 1 zip-attachment, not 6 of them.
Back to the 6 PDF snipplets and putting the pieces together...

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
IanB

Post by IanB »

Karl, thank you so much for the help. I am sorry for the way I submitted the info; I could not figure out another way since I can't start my browser or mount a USB drive on the affected computer. I hope you can get me going again. Thanks! Ian
MarcPDaddy

Post by MarcPDaddy »

I just wanted to report that I am experiencing the very same issue with a brand new 32 bit Mint 17 installation with Cinnimon.
Its running on an old Dell Dimension 2400. I went through all the available patching but the same issue persists.

Some other sites suggested the problem could be with an Applet but I spent some time on this eliminating blocks of Applets but it did not resolve.
When I have a few minutes I'll pull my log files and post them here.

Any help on resolving this is GREATLY appreciated. :)
IanB

Post by IanB »

Bump.
IanB

Post by IanB »

anybody?
IanB

Post by IanB »

Is there anyway to fix this?!!
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

Hi there.
I had installed Linux Mint 17 LTS Cinnamon 32 bit, it was fine, wifi caused jamming of the entire system.
With wifi on and put it out of your computer from the key, it froze in full and did not get off to turn off the power by pressing the power button for longer.
I tested that several times, it caused the Mint inaction, did not start anymore.
I installed Mint 17 again and I tested the same thing, same result.
After that, I installed Mint 15 Cinnamon again, when it works in any other, except for the HDMI sound does not come when I use the TV as a monitor.
The sounds I can get a separate cable.
Now my computer Mint 15 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
Ubuntu works them the right way,there on Ubuntu i found the keyboard floating sometime and I have to switch back to get my passwd correctly.

I use a HP 625 laptop
Operating system 32 bit.
AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor x2 (64 bit)
Installed memory 4G
Graphics Card 0 AMD ATI RS880M
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ian.

From my point of view your "inxi -Fxz" report reveals no obvious problem or misconfiguration. Looks perfectly normal to me. But I do not pretend to be able to detect any potentially problematic hardware component just by spotting its name.
The .xsession-errors file seems to document a problem affecting the sound system, not necessarily a hardware problem, might as well be a software problem.
I wonder a bit whether Mint 17 has really been installed completely or whether some software packages might be missing. - Just a vague impression, not a fact.

As so far no-one seems to have had any idea what the root cause might be, I would like to have a closer look at the syslog file (/var/log/syslog). It is a pure text file. You may open it with any text editor or with the system log viewer (gnome-system-log).

The interesting timespan will be the period when the LM17 starts up.
One of the first log entries which will be created during every startup is when the logging daemon itself has been started. Will look very similar to this line

Code: Select all

Jun 30 12:50:59 machinename rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.6" x-pid="517" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start 
The 2 or 3 minutes following this line will be of interst, because they ought to hold some (error) messages.

Please, copy the syslog lines into your clipboard and paste them into your next reply.
(If you cannot do so on the malfunctioning machine, then copy the syslof file to a USB pendrive and do the copy and pastee from the machine which you use for visiting this forum.)

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Have you tried booting the failing machine from the LM17 live system (which you used when installing as well)? Did Cinnamon crash on the live system as well?
Lifeline
MarcPDaddy

Post by MarcPDaddy »

For me Cinnamon also crashes when I boot off of the DVD. From reading on other boards my best suspicion is that the problem is with the Video driver. I am going to pursue that angle and will report back.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Hello, Karl.

I can get that information. However, I wanted to tell you that I cannot open my Internet browser or get on the Internet at all - either wireless or LAN. I also cannot mount a flash drive. Unless you tell me otherwise, I will print the log from the affected computer and scan it into my other computer and then post the PDF on the forum.

Thanks again!

Ian

P.S. I do not have the live system USB anymore.

Return to “Software & Applications”