Fingerprint Login on Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon, x64)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint Condition

Fingerprint Login on Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon, x64)

Post by Mint Condition »

Dear Linux Mint forum community,

I recently upgraded my Thinkpad X61s to Linux Mint 17 from version 16 which I had before. On Mint 16, fingerprint login worked fine after installing and setting up fingerprint-gui.
However, with Mint 17, I cannot log in with MDM.
Everything else seems to work though: It shows me the message to swype my finger, then it shows "OK" - but MDM displays the message that a false password has been entered.
In cinnamon however, after logging in with my password, sudo and gksu work fine with the fingerprint reader.

Here's an excerpt from /var/log/auth.log, which I think contains the relevant information:

Code: Select all

Jun 24 15:18:18 ThinkPad-X61s pam_fingerprint-gui[2613]: Prompting password returned PAM_SUCCESS.
Jun 24 15:18:18 ThinkPad-X61s fingerprint-helper[2703]: Got SIGUSR2, EXIT_SUCCESS.
Jun 24 15:18:18 ThinkPad-X61s fingerprint-helper[2703]: Devices released.
Jun 24 15:18:18 ThinkPad-X61s pam_fingerprint-gui[2613]: Got password by keyboard.
Jun 24 15:18:18 ThinkPad-X61s pam_fingerprint-gui[2613]: Return 25 (PAM_IGNORE).
Jun 24 15:18:18 ThinkPad-X61s mdm[2613]: pam_unix(mdm:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=  user=username
Jun 24 15:18:21 ThinkPad-X61s mdm[2613]: WARNING: Couldn't authenticate user
Jun 24 15:18:21 ThinkPad-X61s mdm[2613]: pam_succeed_if(mdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "username"
However, wouldn't adding my username into the group "nopasswdlogin" mean, the user always gets logged in without having to enter either a password or to scan a fingerprint?

Please help me with that!

Thanks & best regards!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bluedevil678
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Fingerprint Login on Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon, x64)

Post by bluedevil678 »

I too am looking forward to seeing this work, Please keep us all updated.
Some people say I have a sick and twisted personality ...
I say I have the personality of a little girl,
In a Jar.
On my Desk.
Rescueman

Post by Rescueman »

I have the same problem. SU SUDO Screen Lock and the package manager and everything else works fine. But after the launch at login it works also endures what one but then says "Username and Password not correct". My system is a Linux Mint 17 64 Bit as a new Installation! Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
SJLPHI

Post by SJLPHI »

Have you tried re-installing the fingerprint-GUI?
Make sure you "Purge" it. With my computer I installed it on LM17, no problem at all but because I've changed my password for my user after installing, for a while it plugged in the root password instead of the user password. I had to purge and re-install the package and it works fine since then.
Rescueman

Post by Rescueman »

Hi thanks for the reply. I have the fingerprint-gui uninstalled quite a few times and reinstalled but to no avail. Even when I add a new user the same thing happens even with completely different names and passwords. Everything works fine except the login.
hjhaberland88

Post by hjhaberland88 »

hi im using an hp probook 6570b which has a fingerprint reader how do i get it to work? I have installed the fingerprint-gui but for some reason the fingerprint device is not showing up can any one help me here?
messo8080

Post by messo8080 »

I have same problem at Lenovo T420. There's no mdm PAM service to test.
I cant login via fingerprint, i always get same message "wrong username or password" at right-corner. No problem with password login.
messo8080

Post by messo8080 »

Just use GDM login screen at Linux Mint Settings - Login Screen and fingerprint will be working.
Or install lightdm and prefer them instead mdm
duchski

Post by duchski »

The guy above is right: change the login screen tu GDM and everything works.
CInammon 32 - Thinkpad X60

Now, how do we get the keyring to cooperate?
messo8080

Post by messo8080 »

The whole pourpose of the keyring is to store your passwords and data on your storage device.
To do that securely, they must be encrypted with something you know (your password). To unlock the keyring, you must provide the password so that gnome-keyring can decrypt the stored passwords.

Your fingerprint can not be used as a password because it is not always the same. Fingerprint readers apply some fuzzy logic to tell if the stored fingerprint matches the read fingerprint and tell yes or no.

That's why it can be used for authentication, but not for decryption of stored passwords (unless you have a blank password or would accept storing your master password unencrypted)
entr

Post by entr »

Everything seems to work properly using the default X-Mint login in Rafaela (fingerprint-gui=1.07-dfsg1-0ppa1~trusty1).

Return to “Software & Applications”