Fixed mic, brand new Skype problem.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Fixed mic, brand new Skype problem.

Postby kadathseeker on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:23 am

First of all, I have to thank everyone on the Linux Mint team, as it is wonderful and has almost completely freed me of Vista. That being said, I've only had it two weeks and have a few minor things to iron out.

My music and video works fine, webcam worked fine automatically, and I even fixed the microphone with alsamixer (seems to me it'd be easier to have capture devices on at half volume by default, but I assume there's a reason this isn't so).

I did have a successful, completely working Skype call in Mint with video and sound.

Now, however, I intermittently get a sound device error when attempting to make a call. For example, I had this problem last night, and then turned my computer off for the night. When I woke up, I turned my computer on and I had audio working fine IN SKYPE this morning, whereas tonight I keep getting this error. All other forms of audio, including music and movies, work fine. I didn't reboot my computer between this morning and when it first failed tonight, I left it on while I was in class and came back.

Once getting the error, rebooting didn't seem to help. I suppose I could reboot over and over until I get lucky, but there's got to be an easier way.

Thanks in advance. This is the ONE thing keeping me from giving up Vista 99.99% of the time.
kadathseeker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fixed mic, brand new Skype problem.

Postby kadathseeker on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:57 am

Update:

I ended up rebooting yesterday again after posting, and Skype worked fine. I left my computer on all night, and now no sound appears to be working in Skype or Rythmbox or anything.

I know some people have had problems using two audio applications at the same time, but I seem to be able to use only one kind per log in.

Is there a simpler way to rest my sound that restarting?
kadathseeker
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Fixed mic, brand new Skype problem.

Postby kadathseeker on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Well, I think I mostly fixed it. It's been a few days and seems to be working okay.

I set the sound playback to Pulse Audio and it appears to have worked, though at first I couldn't tell. I guess that's it, or it fixed itself.

Either way, things appear to be working for now.
kadathseeker
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications