Kontact with Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newhoperobertn

Kontact with Cinnamon

Post by newhoperobertn »

I have Debian Mint 16 with a Cinnamon desktop. The machine is a built HAF with 2 installed hard drives, and 2 USB harddrives, 4GB RAM, and a dual core.
I am trying to get Kontact to work with Cinnamon. How do I go about that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newhoperobertn

Re: Kontact with Cinnamon

Post by newhoperobertn »

Anybody???
nomko

Post by nomko »

Kontakt is a KDE application. Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome3 and with the latest release of Cinnamon Gnome3 is (more or less) abandoned (Cinnamon relies more on own packages now). However, it is very possible to install KDE applications under cinnamon with 1 drawback. When installing a KDE application in a non-KDE desktop environment, a lot of other (supporting) KDE packages and libraries will be installed as well. There are users who say that this ruins your system and (primary) desktop environment, but this has never been fully proven although some users reported various issues after installing a KDE application in a non-KDE desktop environment. But this also depends on your system hardware and other applications. At the other hand, all KDE libraries needed to run a KDE application will be installed separately from Gnome packages and will not interfere.

If you haven't installed Kontakt, you can do this without worrying too much. Beside installing Kontakt you also install several KDE libraries and KDE packages which are needed to run Kontakt. There might also appear some applications in the Cinnamon menu which are installed alongside Kontakt. Those applications you can set to hidden using the Cinnamon menu editor.
newhoperobertn

Post by newhoperobertn »

Thank you for the response!

But, how do I do it?

Because I have KDE & Cinnamon desktops, I can log into a KDE desktop, and the app & libraries are in the computer; but, at present, I have to log out and back in as KDE to use it.

There has to be a better way.
newhoperobertn

Post by newhoperobertn »

Anybody?
nomko

Post by nomko »

Sorry, haven't looked at your post earlier. Since i'm not using Kontact i'm not sure how to share the contact list between both desktop environments. I dont think i can help iou any further but i'll keep an eye on the watch if anything cross my path that is related to your topic.

Return to “Software & Applications”